Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Review: Storm Born

Book cover
Title: Storm Born (Dark Swan Series #1)
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Fiction, Paranormal
Pub Date: August 2008, Kensington Publishing
Mass Market Paperback,
Book Source: purchased online from BN.com

Synopsis

Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who does a brisk trade banishing spirits and fey who cross into the mortal world. Mercenary, yes, but a girl's got to eat. Her most recent case, however, is enough to ruin her appetite. Hired to find a teenager who has been taken to the Otherworld, Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy--one that uncovers dark secrets about her past and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of the world as she knows it. 

Now Eugenie is a hot target for every ambitious demon and Otherworldy ne'er-do-well, and the ones who don't want to knock her up want her dead. Eugenie handles a Glock as smoothly as she wields a wand, but she needs some formidable allies for a job like this. She finds them in Dorian, a seductive fairy king with a taste for bondage, and Kiyo, a gorgeous shape-shifter who redefines animal attraction. But with enemies growing bolder and time running out, Eugenie realizes that the greatest danger is yet to come, and it lies in the dark powers that are stirring to life within her...

My Thoughts

Because I have enjoyed Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books so much, I thought I would give the Dark Swan series a try, as well. With Storm Born, I loved some aspects and really didn't care for others.

I should have realized when I bought this book that it would probably be more sexually graphic than I cared to read. Somehow that point went right over my head, though. I opted to skip over those parts and focus on the meat of the story, which is more interesting in its own right, anyway. In reading more and more paranormal books of late, I find it amazing that authors are able to put their own spins on the various creatures, lands, and lore of the paranormal world. Between L. J. Smith and Mead I have read more about kitsune than I ever would have imagined, especially as I was not at all familiar with the legends of fox shapeshifters until reading Smith's newest Vampire Diaries series. Mead's storyline of the Otherworld and the "gentry," as she referred to those who were not from our own world, is suspenseful and dark, with just enough humor tossed in to lighten the mood when needed.

Overall, I enjoyed the fast pace of Storm Born, but I don't know that I'm in any big rush to continue the series--particularly given how many books I have piling up in the house these days. If anyone out there has read Thorn Queen and really recommends it, however, I am all ears!

My rating: 3 stars

Other reviews of Storm Born:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site here, please leave a comment with the link to your review.


2 comments:

  1. I really like this series, in fact it is one of my favorite, Urban Fantasy series. But if the sexuality of the series wasn't your thing it does get stronger in the next book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. The book looks interesting, but it didn't truly call to me. I think I will wait on it with the mountain of books I have here now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)