Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Flukes

FlukesFlukes by Nichole Chase
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

 photo premade4.png

Flukes was the first book I ever read about mermaids -- well, merpeople in general, not to discriminate. I discovered author Nichole Chase through a young lady who used to work for me in my past lifetime in a bookstore. She got me hooked on Chase's Dark Betrayal Trilogy and I've been following Chase ever since (in a non-creeper way!). I admit that when I first heard what Flukes was about, I wrote off the book, thinking I had no interest in mermaids. But for some reason I just kept coming back to it and decided to download a copy. I am so glad I did -- now I can't wait for the sequel!

What I liked:

~ The characters: Meena and Blake are beautifully drawn with enough detail that I felt like I actually knew them, not to mention I actually cared about what happened to them. You'll also meet some other interesting people and merfolk along the way.

What I didn't like:

~ The book was too short! I would have loved to have seen more of the story fleshed out a bit. Everything blew by so quickly the resolution just felt a bit too swift. Honestly, there could have been a little bit more conflict.

What I LOVED:

~ Mermaids as the "supernatural" creatures: Hooray for a change from vampires, werewolves, and the like!!!

Who should read this:

~ Anyone who is looking for a book with "non-humans" other than vampires, werewolves, and shapeshifters, but still wants that otherworldly element.
~ Readers of YA/New Adult fiction who enjoy their romance mixed with the supernatural
~ Fans of Chase's other books

**Read in December 2012. Review originally posted at Goodreads. I am experimenting with writing all of my reviews there and then transferring them here, hoping to simplify my review/catalog process. No more synopses in my posts -- you can easily click on the book cover or title and author name to find out more... We will see how it goes, I'm sure it will be an evolving process!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)