Sunday, May 16, 2010

Review: Perchance to Dream (ARC)

Book cover
Title: Perchance to Dream
Author: Lisa Mantchev
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Fantasy
Pub Date: May 2010 (not released at the time of this review), Fiewel & Friends
ARC, 333 pages
Book Source: Received an advanced reader's copy courtesy of Lisa Mantchev & her publicist.

Synopsis

Growing up in the enchanted Theatre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned all about every play ever written, but she didn't know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and is determined to follow her stars. Bertie can make things happen by writing them, but outside the walls of the Theatre, they don't go as planned. And her magic cannot help her make a decision between Nate, her suave pirate, and Ariel, a seductive air spirit.


When Nate is taken prisoner by the Sea Goddess, only Bertie can free him, and she and her fairy sidekicks embark on a journey, using Bertie's word magic to guide them. Bertie's dreams are haunted by Nate, whose love for Bertie is keeping him alive, but in the daytime, it's Ariel who is tantalizingly close, and the one she is falling for. Who does Bertie love the most? And will her magic be powerful enough to save her once she enters the Sea Goddess's lair?

My Thoughts

Firstly, many thanks to Lisa Mantchev and her publicist for sending me an ARC of this book. How I managed to put off reading Perchance to Dream for so long is beyond me! But I knew I would want to review it right away after reading it, so I made myself wait closer to the release date, which is next Tuesday, May 25th. Preorder your copies now, if you haven't already!

The verdict? I loved it! And I loved it every bit as much as I loved Eyes Like Stars, which is not always the case for me and sequels. We do read a darker tale in this book, but there are still plenty of crazy antics from my favorite fairies out of Midsummer Night's Dream to add levity and visions of sweets and treats galore! Seriously, if you don't want to eat a cupcake or pie after reading this book, I would be shocked. I adored the premise of the story--that what Bertie wrote about came to life, and usually in the most unexpected ways--it really made for an enjoyable read. You never know what will happen next! The plot doesn't really take a darker turn until a good way into the book, but it is not so dark that you become bogged down--we simply see another facet of Mantchev's ability to weave an incredible story.

Much of the story from Eyes Like Stars is resolved in this book, though there is certainly an opening for more many possibilities in the future. However, I did like the fact that I'm not totally hanging off the cliff after reading Perchance to Dream. :-) Mantchev's writing is just as enjoyable to read in this book--the words dance off the pages and paint a vivid picture right before your eyes. The dialogues are fantastic--particularly when they are devoted to the fairies and their quirky notions. Hands down, Peaseblossom, Moth, Cobweb and Mustardseed are some of the best sidekicks, EVER! Remember the name Henry... One of my favorite humorous asides in this book involves Henry. There is nothing like a book that makes me laugh out loud and re-read funny passages. And yet, as I already mentioned, this book isn't all fun and games--you really do go through a variety of emotions.

I firmly believe if you enjoyed Eyes Like Stars you will enjoy Perchance to Dream just as much. There's no "sophomore slump" with this book.

My Rating: 5 stars

Other reviews of Perchance to Dream:

Write for a Reader ~ Readin' and Dreamin' ~ In BetweeN the Pages

If you have read this book and would like to see a link to your review listed here, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading the first one now and I have to say, I'm starting to adore it. Could be the former theatre geek in me loving all the theatre quips or just the fact that this something I haven't read before and love the whole idea of it. Also, you are right, the faeries are awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melissa for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really need to read the first book so I can get to this one! I've heard so many great things on those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the first one yet but I've heard really great things about it. I really love the cover to on both of them too!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)