Monday, July 12, 2010

Review: Mister Monday

Book cover
Title: Mister Monday
Author: Garth Nix
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Fantasy
Pub Date: June 2003, Scholastic, Inc.
Paperback, 361 pages
Book Source: Purchased from B&N@Ga Tech

Synopsis

Arthur Penhaligon is not supposed to be a hero. He is, in fact, supposed to die an early death. But then his life is saved by a key shaped like the minute hand of a clock.

Arthur is safe--but his world is not. Along with the key comes a plague brought by bizarre creatures from another realm. A stranger named Mister Monday, his avenging messengers with bloodstained wings, and an army of dog-faced Fetchers will stop at nothing to get the key back--even if it means destroying Arthur and everything around him.

Desperate, Arthur ventures into a mysterious house--a house that only he can see. It is in this house that Arthur must unravel the secrets of the key--and discover his true fate.

My Thoughts

Mister Monday is the first book I have read by Garth Nix and I decided to pick it up because I have heard many good things about this author from many other book bloggers out there. I must say it was an interesting story--quite bizarre, actually, though also very intriguing and ultimately difficult to put down.

Poor Arthur certainly doesn't seem like much of a hero throughout most of the book--though he does desperately want to save his own world from the dreaded "sleepy plague." But for the most part he struggles--fighting against his own health issues and his fears of the new realm in which he finds himself. Along the way Arthur meets many strange characters, a few of whom will prove to be on his side and help him in his quest to find the mate for his minute-hand-key. The sequence of events and location are truly out-of-this-world and often left me shaking my head, but somehow in the end the story does make sense.

Engaging and often sprinkled with wit and humor, Mister Monday is a fine start to what I imagine will prove to be a fascinating series. I'm only sorry I am so late in getting into it, but as they say, better late than never! I don't know if I would have picked this book up without having heard more about Garth Nix beforehand, so I am glad I decided to. It's quirky and a bit different, but the adventure and characters make the story worth reading.

My Rating: 4 stars

Other reviews of Mister Monday:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one. It is rather ridiculous and quirky at times, but as you read more Nix, you'll see that that is his style. Good stuff!

    If you want to include my review of Mister Monday, you can find it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! It gets better as it goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read his book either. But it really sound fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of these books were better than others for me, but overall I am glad that I read the series, and I am hoping to start reading Sabriel soon.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)