Friday, January 8, 2010

1st Review of 2010: Stargazer

Book cover
Title: Stargazer
Author: Claudia Gray
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Paranormal
Pub Date: March 2009, HarperTeen
Hardcover, 329 pages
Book Source: purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis

The vampire in me was closer to the surface...

Evernight Academy: an exclusive boarding school for the most beautiful, dangerous students of all--vampires. Bianca, born to two vampires, has always been told her destiny is to become one of them.

But Bianca fell in love with Lucas--a vampire hunter sworn to destroy her kind. They were torn apart when his true identity was revealed, forcing him to flee the school.

Although they may be separated, Bianca and Lucas will not give each other up. She will risk anything for the chance to see him again, even if it means coming face-to-face with the vampire hunters of Black Cross--or deceiving the powerful vampires of Evernight. Bianca's secrets will force her to live a life of lies.

Yet Bianca isn't the only one keeping secrets. When Evernight is attacked by an evil force that seems to target her, she discovers the truth she thought she knew is only the beginning...

My Thoughts

(I will keep this review as spoiler-free as I can, but if you haven't read the first book yet, proceed with caution.)

While I certainly enjoyed Evernight, the first book in Claudia Gray's trilogy, I definitely think that Stargazer was a better read. Gray shows quite a bit of improvement with this story and leaves us hanging, anxiously waiting for Hourglass (due out in March).

Gray directed more focus on vampire and other paranormal lore and I think that definitely added to the interest of the overall story. While we find the inevitable love triangle (yes, I think they are overdone), Gray does basically dispense with it by the end of the story. Unfortunately I found myself rooting for the one who wasn't chosen--for some reason Lucas just was not appealing to me as much in this book, go figure. Maybe that storyline will improve in the third book, or perhaps the forbidden/impossible love theme is simply a bit tired at this point.

Happily, Stargazer is fast-paced and I do think that it is better developed overall in this book. I wasn't left with the feeling that the story was being rushed at the end to tie up some loose ends, the way I felt with Evernight. I am really quite interested to see where Bianca's story takes her--the minor twist in her heritage made for an interesting departure from things I have traditionally read about vampires. Speaking of twists, the one I just mentioned was really the only one of interest this time around--there weren't any truly big shockers like there were with the first book. But because the pacing was so much improved, I didn't really miss the mega plot twists.

Bottom line: If you enjoyed Evernight, I think you will like Stargazer even more--I know I did. And there is a lot of potential for the third book to be a great conclusion to the trilogy.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of Stargazer:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site listed here, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

5 comments:

  1. I loved Evernight, but still haven't read this yet! (I know, I know - terrible!)

    I'm glad you think it's a better book, I'm looking forward to getting round to it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide on this series... On the one hand I really have liked this trilogy so far, but on the other hand I am not so sure about it... It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prophecygirl ~ I don't think you will be disappointed by Stargazer. Hope you get to read it soon!

    Kailana ~ That IS weird :-) Perhaps the last book will decide you one way or the other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read a few reviews about this thus far, and yours has to be the best...perhaps I'll give it a go after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not one I had seen around yet but your review is really good so I will look around for this one now. :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)