Friday, January 22, 2010

Review: Shiver

Book cover
Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Paranormal
Pub Date: August 2009, Scholastic, Inc.
Hardcover, 390 pages
Book Source: purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis

The cold.


Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.


The heat.


Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace... until now.


The shiver. For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human--and Grace must fight to keep him--even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

My Thoughts

(My apologies for a more spoiler-ish review than normal, as you'll see towards the end.)

Shiver was one of those books that I saw pop up suddenly and profusely on many other blogs, so much so that I decided I was going to bypass it for other books for the time being. I never even thought much of the images of the cover that were posted everywhere, until I received my copy in the mail earlier this week... For some reason I love this cover, not to mention the one for this summer's sequel, Linger. But I digress...

While part of me wishes I had read this book sooner, I can at least appreciate having finally picked it up when I did--I've been fighting a cold all week and Shiver proved to be a lovely distraction from it yesterday. In fact, I got home early from work and after lounging around with the hubby I started reading it, only stopping for dinner, then ultimately finishing it last night before bed. Stiefvater may have started with a familiar storyline but with seemingly effortless writing she ran with it. We've all read the story--girl meets boy, boy happens to be some kind of paranormal/mythical creature on the side (in this case, a werewolf), they fall in love, they fight to stay together. Sometimes the story will keep us turning pages, other times we feel like we have wasted our time. When I closed Shiver last night, I was very satisfied and I could even be happy if there were not a sequel coming out later this year. Perhaps I should be more upfront and say that I'm a bit apprehensive about it because I enjoyed this book so much and don't even feel a huge need to have the story continued.

This morning, I had to re-read the last few short chapters again, just to savor the ending. Has anyone watched Disney's Sleeping Beauty and seen the green fairy, Fauna, sigh with a tear in her eye saying, "I just love happy endings." That's how I felt after reading that book. And I'm sorry if that gives it all away for those of you who haven't read this book yet, but I promise you it is still worth the read. I found myself enjoying all the characters, including the annoying ones, and while I am normally put off by teen angst in some novels, Stiefvater has managed to portray it on a much less obnoxious level. Her writing is crisp and clear and ever so easy to read--it was almost too easy to get lost in this book. She has put a new (to me, at least) spin on werewolves and their lore. Sometimes these stories of teenage romances seem ridiculous but I found myself enjoying this one from beginning to end.

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of Shiver:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

8 comments:

  1. Cool review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know what you mean about seeing it everywhere - it certainly had a lot of good publicity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one too! I'm looking forward to the next one! http://libraryqueue.blogspot.com/2009/10/shiver.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular review! I loved Shiver as well, Maggie's writing is just so amazing.

    http://yabookqueen.blogspot.com/2009/08/shiver-by-maggie-stiefvater-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review Melissa! I couldn't agree with you more, brilliant book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you loved it as much as we all did. It is a fabulous book. I got her two other books for Christmas which I hope to read soon.Lament and Ballad, which are based of fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the books I've read so much about that I know I willhave to read it someday. Thank's for giving me extra incentive to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so funny Melissa! I had the exact same thoughts - I had seen the book everywhere, so I put off reading it. But, I finally broke down & requested it at the library. I'm glad to hear you liked it, I'm sure I will too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great cover! Thanks for the review - somehow despite the fact that it seems to have been reviewed everywhere, it completely missed my radar. Must be reading the wrong blogs!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)