Monday, January 18, 2010

Mystery Mondays: Life Expectancy


Book cover
Title: Life Expectancy
Author: Dean Koontz
Genre: Fiction, Suspense
Pub Date: 2004, HarperCollins Publishers
Paperback (International Edition), 531 pages
Book Source: purchased at Yawn's Bookstore, our local independent bookstore.

Synopsis

When the hand of fate reaches out to touch an ordinary man...

In the moments before he is born, Jimmy Tock has a strange destiny thrust upon him. His dying grandfather prophesies five dark days in his grandson's life--five dates on which Jimmy will face terror and violence, malice and perversion. A storm rages. There is a chilling significance in the old man's words. The moment his grandfather dies, Jimmy emerges squalling into the world, destined to struggle against an evil so dark and pervasive only the most extraordinary of human spirits can shine through.

What dangers await Jimmy on these live dark days? What terrifying events must he survive? At each of the crisis points a mystery unfolds that will challenge his understanding of good and evil, life and death--and everything in between.


My Thoughts

Perhaps this is not a true mystery in the general sense of the genre, but there truly are several fascinating mysteries that unfold in this story. And given that it has been weeks, no, months, since I wrote a Mystery Mondays post I felt this book was worthy of one.

Several people more familiar with Koontz's works recommended that I read this one first, and I can't say that I blame them. I thoroughly enjoyed this book--so much that I finished all 500+ pages in less than two days. Not only is it an exciting, suspenseful read, this book is often humorous and sharp throughout. I honestly cannot write about any aspects of the plot, nor would I want to, but while absolutely far-fetched, it is 100% entertaining. Koontz's dialogues between the characters are spot-on if you enjoy witty banter and have a sense of the ironic. In the midst of terrifying events these exchanges provide a welcome comic relief while not taking away from the matters at hand.

While I did find myself able to predict some aspects of the story (and I have to say I was impressed with myself at times, as I frequently don't pick up on subtle clues), there were other twists that I wasn't able to see coming. I think anyone who enjoys a good suspenseful read with a healthy dose of wit would enjoy this book.

My rating: 5 stars



If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site listed here, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book. It's one of my favorites! I'm a big Dean Koontz fan. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a great fan of Koontz's. I did like Life Expectancy a lot but I didn't necessarily love it, maybe because there wasn't a lot of nightmarish horror elements in it lol!
    But it is a great read definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great review! I've never read Koontz, but I hear such wonderful things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't comment as often as I should, but I never visit without learning something from you : ). Terrific review of what promises to be a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any Koontz but the premise of this book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved Koontz for years but haven't read this one before. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any books by Dean Koontz, but I do own a few and I really need to start to read them. I know all his fans just love his books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read a Koontz book in some time... maybe I'll give this one a try! Thanks!

    Bill ;-)

    Hope you'll check out my book giveaway:
    http://drbillsbookbazaar.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-giveaway-plum-pudding-murder.html

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)