Saturday, August 14, 2010

Review: Dragon Flight

Title: Dragon Flight
Author: Jessica Day George
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Pub Date: April 2008, Bloomsbury
Hardcover, 255 pages
Book Source: Purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis

In her last adventure, Creel talked her way out of a dragon's clutches. Then she talked her way into a job as a seamstress, caught the eye of a prince, foiled a diabolical princess's plans to take over the country, and, oh yes, was named Heroine of the Dragon Wars for her troubles.

Now, with the Dragon Wars over, Creel is back to work as a seamstress. Business is steady and life is good, but it's also a bit... dull. So when word comes that a bordering country has been training dragons for an imminent invasion, Creel throws herself into the line of duty again. After all, joining forces with the dragons, rekindling friendship with the prince who captured her heart, and maybe--just maybe--saving the day has got to be more fun than sewing dresses for some snooty duchess, right?

My Thoughts

Jessica Day George is quickly becoming one of my favorite YA fantasy authors. While I have to admit that I probably liked Dragon Slippers--her first effort--a bit better, Dragon Flight is still a very enjoyable read that is easy to get lost in.

What truly makes these books so enjoyable is the colorful cast of characters. I have found it so easy to become attached to Creel, Prince Luka, and others that help them along the way. And anyone who gets in their way is depicted so well in their opposition that you can't help but appreciate them for what they are in these stories. So while the plot might be a bit (just a bit) lighter in this book, the characters and their antics more than make up for that slight weakness. Marta comes into her own during the latest Dragon War after she and Creel get into a pretty impressive scrape when trying to help Prince Luka and the Faravelan soldiers in their effort to stop the invasion.

Again with this story, George's writing is easy to read and wonderfully vivid to the imagination, which I always think is important for YA fantasy novels. When I pick books like this up, I want to be swept away into the world I am reading about, and that is just what happens with George's books. I am looking forward to reading Dragon Spear and concluding this series, though no doubt I will be sad to leave Creel and her adventures behind. If you (or someone you know) is looking for an enjoyable YA fantasy read, I highly recommend these books!

My Rating: 4 stars

I'd love to link to other reviews of this book! If you have reviewed Dragon Flight and would like to see a link to your site listed here please leave a comment with the link to your review!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica Day George is becoming one of my favorites too. I recently read Dragon Slippers and loved it!
    I look forward to reading the rest in the series. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful book by an author I wasn't familiar with before reading the review. I'm going to have to check her books out for myself. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)