Sunday, August 1, 2010

Review: Linger

Title: Linger
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fiction
Pub Date: July 2010, Scholastic Press
Hardcover, 360 pages
Book source: Purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis

The Longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with the werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

The Loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being human.

The Linger.

For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life is a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?

My Thoughts

Linger is one of those books that, while I am not 100% sure exactly what I was expecting, was not at all what I expected. Oh, as with Shiver, it is still primarily the story of Grace and Sam, but it takes twists and turns before it finally ends up in a place I certainly saw coming--but it was the route that Stiefvater takes us that makes this book stand out.

As always, I am honest with my reviews, and I have to start by saying that it took me awhile to get into this story. I was sucked into Shiver from the start, but Linger took much longer to sink in and grab hold. Cole was a character that just didn't interest me initially. No, not until I realized that he was going to be pretty important to the story did I become intrigued by his problems and mysteries. In fact, I think Cole ends up being such an important piece of the puzzle that I wish Stiefvater had devoted more time to rounding out all facets of his development that culminate in what he really brings to the story towards the end of the book.

With these books, I always pull for the couples, but I have to admit I found myself liking Sam less and less as the story went on. He just seemed rather weak and disappointing until he finally snaps out of it a bit towards the end. But let me tell you, with the hand that Stiefvater has shown us, I am even more anxious to read the continuation of this series to see how the story unfolds. What else will Cole bring to the table? Just where does Isabel fit in, other than the fact that her brother died trying to cure himself of becoming a wolf? Will Sam and Grace finally make it--and what of her relationship with her parents? It's funny, but as I grow older I can see more and more the side of the parents in these conflicts--though in this case Grace does make a pretty strong case for herself, as well. There is nothing to do now but wait for more!

My Rating: 4 stars

Other reviews of Linger:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)