Sunday, August 29, 2010

Review: The Girl Who Chased The Moon

Title: The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Author: Sarah Addison Allen
Genre: Fiction
Pub Date: March 2010, Random House
Hardcover, 265 pages
Book Source: Purchased from B&N@GT

Synopsis

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. Such as, why did Dulcie Shelby leave her hometown so suddenly? And why did she vow never to return? But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew--a reclusive, real-life gentle giant--she realizes that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life: Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbor bakes hope in the form of cakes.

Everyone in Mullaby adores Julia Winterson's cakes--which is a good thing, because Julia can't seem to stop baking them. She offers them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth but also in the hope of rekindling the love she fears might be lost forever. Flour, eggs, milk, and sugar... Baking is the only language the proud but vulnerable Julia has to communicate what is truly in her heart. But is it enough to call back to her those she's hurt in the past?

Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

My Thoughts

Once again, Sarah Addison Allen has written a charming novel with just enough magic, mystery, and romance to make for the perfect escape. I have highly enjoyed each of her books, and while this one may not have been my favorite of the bunch, I still loved it!

My favorite part about Allen's books is that you could almost believe the stories are true--including the bits of magic. It is so easy to be completely swept into her stories, and this one is no exception. In The Girl Who Chased the Moon, we once again have the perfect mix of original and quirky characters, most of whom have more than a bit of mystery they are hiding. While the story is perhaps meant to focus more on Emily and her search for answers, I found myself much more interested Julia's story and what would become of her. My only wish is that this book could have gone on a little longer and deeper into the various storylines. On the one hand, I loved the way the story ended, on the other, I simply wanted to know more and what the scene to follow would be like!

If you are looking for a story to take you away (to a charming Southern town, no less), look no further than Allen's books. There is usually a bit of sexuality, but nothing that is over the top offensive. Now that I've had the opportunity to read each of her books, I can't wait for the next!

My Rating: 4 stars

Other reviews of The Girl Who Chased the Moon:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

8 comments:

  1. I've reviewed it!

    http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com/2010/04/book-review-girl-who-chased-moon-by.html

    Cheeeeerrrs

    Aimee x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any of Allen's works, but you have definitely made me want to remedy that! The Girl Who Chased the Moon sounds like a fun, easy read - one that is perfect for escaping and whiling away an afternoon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds awesome. I have not read her book either but I'll add up this one on my TBR list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that I thought the cover of this book was gorgeous! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say that I thought the cover of this book was gorgeous! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this too. I've enjoyed all of hers. I can't wait for her new one.

    My review is here:
    http://2kidsandtiredbooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/girl-who-chased-moonreview.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read her first one but loved it! Not sure what's taking me so long to get to the othr two?!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)