Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday Thoughts: Can Somebody Find My Desire to Write Reviews?

Seriously... I seem to have misplaced it somewhere. :-/

Normally when I hit a period of burnout, everything goes up in flames... or down the toilet... or something to that effect... Not really sure which expression I'm looking for here. :-)

But my point is, I usually just find myself in a total reading and reviewing (and consequently, blogging) shutdown. Of course, the ol' blog is definitely suffering right now during my current period of non-reviewing... I can't even remember when Tuesdays are, apparently, since I missed Teaser Tuesdays for the second week in a row -- GAH! However, my book consumption is still going strong and not only that, it's actually on track to be a banner reading year (for me). *Knocks on wood* I've read 67 books towards my original goal of 100 for the entire year. And it's not even June, yet!

I suppose I should just be grateful I'm still excited about reading and devouring all of these books.

But the more I write about and think about my reviewing drought -- three weeks in a row blogging about it here in some way, shape, or form, and I'm sure you're sick of hearing me whine muse about it about it -- the more I wonder if I'm just not that into blogging anymore. But then I look at my blog and all of the time and effort I've put into it (even with that long hiatus for a year and a half in 2010-2012) and I just can't bring myself to write that little blog post that says I'm hanging up my hat or even just taking a break to get out of my funk. I have some major commitment issues, apparently... I can't commit to blogging & reviewing and I can't commit to giving it up!

Gosh darn it, I need to figure out how to make reviewing fun again! Problem is, I keep finding myself drifting back to my same old "formula" when I sit down to write a review. Unless I find the need to gush, my reviews are usually three paragraphs consisting of opening thoughts, what I liked and what needed improvement, and final thoughts (which often include more of what I liked since I try to close on a positive note). *Snore* It puts me to sleep just thinking about it...

So, I guess once again I've got to go back to the drawing board and brainstorm some ideas for a different review style altogether. I just wish I could have some kind of epiphany as to what that format should be... I tried a "what I liked vs. what I didn't like" format and a few other bulleted-style reviews but nothing stuck... That said, until I can figure something out, don't count on reading a review here any time soon. I've started two separate reviews (both would have been 4 or 5 stars) and both are sitting in draft, gathering virtual dust... I am about to just post some star ratings on Goodreads for my recent reads and call it a day (but I can't commit to that either, go figure). I will do my best to have at least a couple of regular posts every week, as I want to try to stay connected, but I have got to come up with something to shake up my reviews or that dreaded hiatus/"I quit" post may rear its ugly head...

So this leads me to ask in all seriousness...

What do YOU like to see in a review? Do you like long reviews? Short & sweet? Prose or bullet points? Technical points or touchy-feely, more emotionally-driven "how the book made me feel" reviews? More of a focus on the plot than what is found in the synopsis (without being too spoiler-y, of course)? All of the above? <== If that's your answer, I'm not sure I want to know -- just kidding!! :-D

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. I can totally relate! I've been feeling the same way. I've been reading a lot but the reviews don't come easy. I have several started that I just can't finish. I've even missed the last few Saturday Snapshots and I love that one! Blogging in general really slows down for me in the summer anyway. I'd rather be outside!

    For the record, I really enjoy visiting here and think you write very interesting reviews. I tend to enjoy reviews that aren't too long and include a personal take on that reader's feelings and insights. It makes it more interesting - something I'm struggling with in my own writing. Oh well, for now I'm heading outside to read in my hammock!

    Good luck! I hope you don't shut down your blog but do whatever works best for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in exactly the same position as you. I somehow don't really have a desire to write reviews unless I've got a book for review, but I don't want to give up, either, and I don't even like the idea of saying I'm taking a break. But I'm not blogging much at all, so I don't really know where I'm planning on going with it.

    I tend to like reading short and sweet reviews, enough to give me a feel for the book without going into too much detail.

    Good luck with deciding on where your blog is heading in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I started writing about books before I finish them--that seems to be when I have a thought that I want to share, and by the time I finish the book and start trying to summarize it all, I'm....done.

    Of course, I haven't written many of those posts lately, either.

    These days I tend to skim most of the straight reviews, to be honest. I really appreciate reading reviews that are either humorous, or say something about the writer of the review, or give me some interesting information about the world. Knowing this, makes it even harder for me to write a review that I myself would want to read, though!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)