Sunday, February 22, 2009

Classics Challenge 2009

ClassicsChallengeButtonWell, I've barely made a dent in my 100+ Reading Challenge and I've already decided to do another one, the Classics Challenge of 2009. I ran into this one on Dar's blog, Peeking Between The Pages, but the challenge is actually being hosted by Trish at Trish's Reading Nook. The challenge will run from April 1 - October 31, 2009.

I own many classics, thanks to B&N reprinting them--I love the hardcover editions! I've read most of them, but there are a handful I haven't gotten to, and one or two I'd like to re-read.

**UPDATE**
I've chosen my books, and was totally embarrassed to discover how many classics I had that I hadn't even read yet. It was more than a handful because I ended up choosing 6 titles that I've yet to crack the spine. I guess I'd forgotten just how many of these I had stocked up on when they were doing a classics sale. Anyway, here are my six choices:

Picture of Classics to read
So we've got Aesop's Fables, Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, and Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. It's quite a list but I tried to throw in a couple of titles that might prove to be easier reads and therefore make the goal pretty reachable. But I still have at least 2-3 other classics I haven't read beyond even these! Clearly I need to get to work...

But back to the contest. As you'll see when you check out Trish's page, you can choose from 3 levels--reading 4, 5 or 6 classics. I'm going to aim high and see if I can make it!

Working my way to the "Classics Feast":
1. Peter Pan - finished 2/27/09<---OK, apparently I can't read the rules and I completely overlooked the fact that the challenge doesn't start until April 1. So Peter Pan will be my warm-up...
3. The Time Machine by H. G. Wells - finished 7/31/09
4. (Classics Snack)
5. (Classics Entree)
6. (Classics Feast)
7. (Making up for reading Peter Pan a bit too early.)

6 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa--thanks for signing up for the classics challenge! I look forward to hearing what you decide to read. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa, I'm so glad you're joining in for this one. You have quite the list of Classics to tackle. I'd love to read Peter Pan one day. I do think I'm going to add Alice in Wonderland to my list---I thought about it yesterday and still can't forget it so that means I should read it. lol. I had thought about A Woman in White but it's a pretty big chunkster of a book. I'll be anxious to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Woman in White and it is a great choice for the challenge--one of the best classics I've read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar~ Alice In Wonderland will be well worth the read--I really enjoyed it and thought about re-reading it until I saw my "unread" stack. :-)

    Trish~ I couldn't believe that I hadn't read The Woman in White yet when I read the jacket cover. I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that you already have the books, anyway! Seems like I remember Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island as being fairly quick reads, for classics. You've got some long ones in there, though. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)