Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review: The Victor

TheVictorCover
Title: The Victor
Author: Marlayne Giron
Genre: Historical Romance
Pub Date: 2009, Tate Publishing
Trade paperback, 272 pages
Book Source: Received from the author for review.

Synopsis

A benevolent King;
...his sword of power;
...a ruthless traitor bent on revenge;
...and the faithful son who stands in his way with the woman destined to share his throne.

Who shall emerge as the victor in this epic struggle between good and evil to govern the lives of hapless men?

My Thoughts

Many, many apologies to Marlayne Giron--I should have read and reviewed this weeks ago but have been in a bit of a reading funk lately as life has gotten in the way of my literary pursuits. I am hopeful that reading The Victor has brought me out of that funk--I greatly enjoyed this historical tale of betrayal, victory and romance.

While not without its flaws, The Victor is an enjoyable read that has a happy ending--my favorite kind! The story is simple: a man named Lucius seeks revenge against the king for banishment and nearly succeeds before the king's son saves the day. And you know what, the plot line works, plain and simple. My biggest issue was getting a grasp on the passage of time. Too often "many years passed," or something happened "year after year," leaving me with an uncertain feeling as to just how much time actually did pass throughout the story--ultimately, about 6-7 years. And perhaps the usage of "thee," "thou," and "thy" seemed a bit awkward at times, but generally I did not find it to be a detraction.

Overall, I thought The Victor was a nice read and never boring, which was nice. Giron minced no words, scenes, or characters to convey her exciting tale. I heartily recommend this book if you are looking for an epic historical romance that is a relatively easy read and ends with everyone getting his or her just desserts. For more information on Marlayne Giron and The Victor, please visit her website!

My rating: 4 stars



If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your review here, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this would be a book I would enjoy or not but I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is fantastic. Not sure if the storyline would be my choice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is absolutely stunning! I've read a few books, lately, in which the timing has seemed a little surreal and wacky. Glad the overall story ended well, though. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa - thank you so much for the review. Just wanted to clear up the timing issue mentioned in your review. It was intentionally vague because I didn't want the reader to get distracted by trying to calculate and figure out if the numbers all came out right. Guess it worked the other way around.

    Please feel free to direct your followers to my book website (the Reviews/Interview/Events tab) where I have listed several wonderful reviews and comments from others who had read and/or reviewed The Victor.

    Thanks again!
    Marlayne Giron
    www.thevictorbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, someone else liked this book! Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll give it a go, even if its only because of the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually read historical romance and I'm not sure this one will persuade me to, even if the cover is pretty. Thanks for the honest review though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just gave you the One Lovely Blog Award.

    http://librarygirlreads.blogspot.com/2009/10/blog-award-one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good historical book. I will see if i can get a copy here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the cover and it sounds like a fun story. Thanks for review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love happy endings as well. This sounds like a book that I'd gladly stay up for. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)