Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Review: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Book cover
Title: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner (An Eclipse novella)
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Vampires, Paranormal
Pub Date: June 2010, Little, Brown
Hardcover, 178 pages
Book source: Purchased from B&N @ Ga Tech

Synopsis

Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes, and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood... life before she became a vampire.

All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself, and above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as her. As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?

My Thoughts

I will be the first to admit that as much as I loved the Twilight novels, I do not remember Bree Tanner from Eclipse. Of course, Bree apparently only has a brief appearance in that novel and part of me wants to go back and take a peak at it from that perspective. (However, with so many unread books stacked up, I don't think that will be happening anytime soon.)

While this little novella was an interesting glance at Bree's short existence as a vampire, I can't say it's a book that I want to re-read like the rest of the Twilight novels. It's certainly a fast read, but I didn't find myself sucked in or unable to put the book down, which was a mild disappointment. It was nice to have a completely different perspective of the Twilight world, instead of Bella's or the Cullens' points of view, but I don't know that think this story added much to the saga. It seems that Meyer has gotten about all she can out of her Twilight franchise at this point.

On the positive side, Twilight fans have the chance to read this book for free, available at BreeTanner.com until July 5th.

My Rating: 3 stars

Other reviews of The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

5 comments:

  1. I cannot help but think Stephanie Meyer wanted to get just a squidge more cash out of the Twilight series with this one. I confess I have it, but I haven't rushed to read it. It sounds like that is a good idea of mine now after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember Bree either. I think I will check out the free read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to pass on this one. I wasn't sure I wanted to read it anyway, as I also don't remember that character in Eclipse.

    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Bree...she comes in right after Edward Kills Victoria and Bella passes out....shes in the book for about one page....I must admit I loved all of Meyers book, but this one is boring me.

    Nice review..:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember Bree either! I just started reading it and still, my memory has absolutely no trace of her.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)