Saturday, June 26, 2010

Review: This Is Me From Now On

Book cover
Title: This Is Me From Now On
Author: Barbara Dee
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult/MG
Pub Date: April 2010, Simon & Schuster
Paperback, 259 pages
Book Source: Received a copy for review from the author

Synopsis

Sometimes your life just needs a little jolt.

That's what Francesca told me once, and she was right. I mean, she was wrong about practically everything, but she was right about that.

At first Evie doesn't know what to think about her amazing new neighbor. Francesa's wild and funny, with a crazy sense of style, but the only rules she follows are the ones she invents herself. Evie's two best friends don't trust Francesca, but Evie is desperate for a change. And when you're with Francesca, anything--totally anything--can happen.

My Thoughts

Firstly, many thanks to Barbara Dee for sending me a copy of this book for review. This Is Me From Now on has a target audience that is a tad bit younger (ages 9 - 13) than most of the books I usually review, but I was interested in the premise and gladly accepted the opportunity to share this book with all of you.

My first thought upon finishing this book was that I could have seen myself reading it when I was in middle school. It's generally a light-hearted read that is the perfect little escape from real-life into a world that almost could be yours. The storyline is cute, if a bit predictable--but since we have probably all been in similar situations with a new girl moving to town, I suppose that is to be expected. And who hasn't wanted to reinvent themselves the way Evie was so desperate to? I know I used to feel that way as a pre-teen and teen, and even to this day sometimes find myself thinking about a new me. In the end, Evie learn a lot about herself and her friends and we read all about it in a charming story that provides a lot of laughs.

I highly recommend this book for all the tweens out there. The characters are very well-drawn and I would be surprised if others weren't as blown away by Francesca as I was. She was certainly a hoot and a bit over the top, but Evie and her friends were a tad more realistic. All-in-all an enjoyable read!

My Rating: 4 stars

Other reviews of This Is Me From Now On:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

1 comment:

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)