Thursday, June 10, 2010

Review: The Skull Ring

Book cover
Title: The Skull Ring
Author: Scott Nicholson
Genre: Fiction, Suspense
Pub Date: March 2010, Ghostwriter Publications
Paperback, 327 pages
Book source: Received a copy for review from the author


Synopsis

Julia Stone will remember, even if it kills her.

Many years after the night her father disappeared, a night of chants, pain, and strangers in robes, the past follows Julia to the North Carolina moutnains when a mysterious silver skull ring makes her the focus of a shadowy, sinister cult. Walter, a local handyman, tries to help her, but he has his own secrets.

And the ring is closing in...

My Thoughts

Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. Nicholson for sending me a copy of The Skull Ring to review. This is the first book I've read that focuses on Satanic cults, though admittedly the story is more devoted to Julia Stone and her "relationship" to the cult. I have to say, parts of the story definitely gave me the creeps and I refused to read it at night, in the dark!

The suspenseful storyline is what carried this book and made it worth reading and at times, difficult to put down. There was the constant question of who Julia could really trust, though I did feel that many events that transpired were a bit predictable. I was reasonably sure who was to be feared throughout most of the book, though there were a couple of surprises I didn't see coming (as they related to certain characters, that is). As for the characters, they were all pretty good, basic characters but would have benefited from some further development and fleshing out to make the story even better. The friendship Julia finds herself forming with Walter felt a little hokey to me--not that it couldn't have happened, but I don't think enough of the book was used to really promote it to where the relationship made sense.

All-in-all, The Skull Ring is an easy read with a definitely "creepy-factor" that makes you want to know how the story is going to turn out.

My Rating: 3 stars

Other reviews of The Skull Ring:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a book that I may enjoy. I'm fascinated by the whole "satanist cult" storyline. I'm getting ready to read The Sentinel and I have been wanting to read Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)