Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: Spells

Book cover
Title: Spells
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy
Pub Date: May 2010, HarperTeen
Hardcover, 359 pages
Book Source: Purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis

"I can't just storm in and proclaim my intentions. I can't 'steal' you away. I just have to wait and hope that, someday, you'll ask," Tamani said.

"And if I don't?" Laurel said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Then I guess I'll be waiting forever."

Although Laurel has come to accept her true identity as a faerie, she refuses to turn her back on her human life--and especially her boyfriend, David--to return to the faerie world.

But when she is summoned to Avalon, Laurel's feelings for the charismatic faerie sentry Tamani are undeniable. She is force to make a choice--a choice that could break her heart.

My Thoughts

Last year I enjoyed Pike's debut novel, Wings, and gave it four stars. I think her sophomore effort is even better and shows some of her growth as a writer. As with her first book, Pike still paces the story well and I think the prose and dialogues are improved from Wings. There is almost a no-nonsense approach to the story and I really appreciate the fact that events are constantly moving--I never once felt like the story was dragging.

I still enjoy the love triangle aspect (Laurel-David-Tamani), as overdone as it might be in YA fiction these days. I think Pike is working it well, though, and as with the first book, it makes for some interesting events throughout the story. Perhaps the best part of the book, however, is the last few pages. Yes, we have a cliffhanger, but I was intrigued by the direction Pike began to take the story with those final scenes. Also adding to this series was the detailed world-building we saw with respect to Avalon. I now have a much clearer, more vivid picture of Pike's faerie world and I am anxious to return to it in the third book, where I feel we will have limitless possibilities.

If you enjoyed Wings, I certainly think that you will enjoy its sequel and encourage you to give it a try. Pike's faerie world is magical and quite different from some of the other faerie series I have read, and the ending is sure to leave you wanting more.

My Rating: 4 stars

Other reviews of Spells:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cover. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. I'm so embarrassed. I've had book one since it came out. I think your review has now reminded me to get on it! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)