Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: The Darkest Minds

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
 photo premade5.png

I'm kicking myself for not writing this review immediately after finishing The Darkest Minds because while I remember thinking this book was a whole lotta awesome, I don't remember all of the specifics that sparked that feeling! Of course, the fact that it's a dystopian is what drew me to the book, because so far I haven't met a dystopian novel or series I haven't liked! And this time, Bracken has put a fresh spin on dystopia that will keep you on the edge of your seat. There is also a hint of Sci-Fi thrown in.

I grew way too attached to the characters in this book. And because of that, I was VERY frustrated with Ruby for her actions at the end (not to spoil things too much). That said, boy does it make for a great cliffhanger leading into the second book. Too bad I will have to wait awhile on that one -- Never Fade isn't due out until the Fall, sigh...

There's a lot going on in this story and Bracken shows it all in vivid detail -- it is definitely action-packed and the pace moves along quickly. Despite its chunkier size, I still moved through TheDarkest Minds pretty quickly because I simply couldn't put it down.

Bottom line, read this book if you liked any of the following:

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth
Inside Out/Outside in by Maria V. Snyder

Read in January 2013. Review originally posted at Goodreads. View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Dystopia isn't my genre although I adored The Hunger Games trilogy. But, this one does sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one might transcend the dystopia genre just a bit -- like The Hunger Games did. While I do enjoy the genre in general, I can see why some books would work for "everyone" and others wouldn't.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I read about 50 pages in through Netgalley before I made a decision to hold it off until I could get a physical copy. Reading is extremely hard on the computer and I simply did not want to read it sitting at my computer.

    I remember that teens are grouped up and colour-coordinated according to their abilities. These teens are those who have not shown symptoms of a plague of sorts. The conditions are BRUTAL in that camp. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. (I'm waiting for the US pb.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you for waiting -- I don't know that I could read it on the computer very easily, either. I ended up reading mine on my Nook.

      Hope you end up enjoying the book! Thanks for stopping by :-)

      Delete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)