Friday, September 4, 2009

Review: Catching Fire

Catching Fire coverTitle: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Fiction
Pub Date: September 2009, Scholastic, Inc.
Hardcover, 391 pages
Book Source: BN.com

Synopsis

Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol--a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

My Thoughts

How shall I start except to say that I devoured this book today. While I haven't thoroughly read all of the reviews out there, not wanting to spoil the book for myself, I had seen mainly glowing reviews and a few dissenting opinions, as well.

All I can say is that for me, this book worked. In general, I didn't find the first person present tense to be too awkward, with a few exceptions. But what Collins does so successfully (in my opinion) is that she simply grabs you with the story and I just didn't want to put this book down. I thought the pacing was excellent and I never felt like the story was slow at any point--I was always trying to read as fast as I possibly could to find out what was going to happen next. The plot twists were thrilling and kept me at the edge of my seat.

And oh, these characters! Naturally, the primary focus is on Katniss and Peeta, but Collins also does a fine job with the supporting cast, in my opinion. From Gale, to Katniss's mother, to Haymitch, to the clueless citizens of the hated Capitol, Collins has created characters and a story that will stick with you long after you put the book down. Yes, the wait for book 3 (when's it due out?) may likely kill me, but I'll do my best to wait as patiently as possible. (The ever-growing TBR pile will probably help with that.) I can honestly say that I enjoyed Catching Fire just as much as I did The Hunger Games. In fact, reading Catching Fire may have gotten me out of the reading slump I feel like I've been in for awhile now--it seems to have lit a spark that makes me want to pick up another book already.

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of Catching Fire:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

18 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this more than I did! Like i said in my review, I have a feeling my disappointment won't be universally shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is getting great reviews everywhere! I am glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo another 5 star rating, didnt read all your review because I cannot wait to read this myself. I get to start Graceling come Monday, yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this today and it was amazing-I LOVED it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Hunger Games on its way to me and looking forward to dive in to this world. If I am hooked like the rest of the world is then I am glad I can order Catching Fire immediately :) I enjoyed your review and glad you're getting out of a reading slump, those are never making me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want EVERYONE to love this book. I am so ridiculously invested in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous review Melissa. I need to read this author starting with Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am dying to read this. I know I will be the last. Glad to hear it got you out of a reading slump. I am wondering if I may be heading into one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not yet read Hunger Games. I have been hearing wonderful things on both books, and you add to the list. I currently have Hunger Games and look forward to reading it here later this month. I think I am going to want to jump right into this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to follow your blog. It's a great resource for book lovers like me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive! *sniff sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so jealous! I'm #20 on my library hold list for this one. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! Yes Yes!!!!! Haha I actually Feel BADLY that I told my SIL to read the Hunger Games because now she has to WAIT, now for the third! Ah, sigh, 'tis the fate of the trilogy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just bought both books this weekend. Everyone loves them so much. I can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to read that it isn't one of those disappointing sequels. Now I am even more anxious to read it, I'm on my library wait list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm looking forward to reading this series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ate this one up, too. I can't believe I have to wait a year to find out how it ends.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great review. I've linked to it over at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)