Monday, September 21, 2009

Review: The Civilization Loop

Civilization Loop cover
Title: The Civilization Loop
Author: Jason R. Thrift
Genre: Fiction, Sci-Fi
Pub Date: September 2007, Publish America
Paperback, 338 pages
Book Source: Received a copy from the author

Synopsis

Man has unlocked the ability to travel through time. From the outset of this new discovery, man's fate was also sealed. Now it is a race against time, against choice, against the very past that humanity holds to. This story will take you through the mysteries that lie at the very heart of all that is civilization, from the Pyramids and the Sphinx of Egypt, to the ancient world of the dinosaurs, to the myths and beliefs of our current reality. What if you went back in time and discovered that the world we know was started by people from our present? A tale of good versus evil, man versus machine, life versus death, and God in between. Journey with Dr. Robert Peterson and his dedicated team on a mission to end all mysteries, and the chance to finally put to rest the greatest mystery of all time...

The Civilization Loop.

My Thoughts

First off, many thanks to Mr. Thrift for sending me a copy of his book, The Civilization Loop. As many of you may know by now, I will often read and review self-published books if they are about subject matter that interests me. When Mr. Thrift contacted me about his book, I was fascinated by the premise, not to mention the fact I always love a Sci-Fi read.

Let me just say that The Civilization Loop does not disappoint. I started this book yesterday and just finished it up this morning; and although I really didn't want to stop reading it last night, in the end I had to get some sleep! I don't know about the rest of you, but I always find the theory of time travel and its consequences (time paradoxes) to be fascinating, yet mind-blowing. In my opinion, Thrift has done an incredible job of presenting it all in his book--a gripping story that will have you questioning at least the possibility of time travel for mankind. Not only do we revisit the Pyramids and ancient Egypt as noted in the synopsis, but Thrift was also ingenious in working Roswell's Area 51 and the lost city of Atlantis into the story. I won't say more than that, however, because I don't want to give away too many spoilers. Interestingly enough, Thrift has also chosen to mix a little bit of God with science, so to speak, and while this may offend some readers, I found it refreshing and very natural.

This book is not without its flaws, though I will say that they are mainly typographical and could be fixed by good editing, as is the case with many self-published books. The story itself is riveting and while various typos and awkward phrases were occasionally distracting, I did not feel that they took away from the overall story. Personally, I highly recommend The Civilization Loop if you have any tendencies towards Sci-Fi and/or time travel--it was well worth the read.

My rating: 4 stars



If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your review listed here, please leave a comment with the permalink to your review.

9 comments:

  1. This review sure made me want to read this book! I've just recently discovered that I actually enjoy reading books in the sci-fi genre and The Civilization Loop sounds like an exiting read!

    I have put a stop to my book shopping for the time being but this book will be on high priority in my Amazon wish list! Thanks for the great review, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely accept self-published books anymore. For me it's too personal and difficult to be critical. Your review was great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so intrigued by the book. I'm so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sci-fi - i have not read anything in this genre! But this one does sound good!

    It is so cool of you to review self-published books :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds good! Thank you for bringing it to my attention! I want to read it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks intriguing. Personally, I'm more of a Mario Puzo types, or if it's pure fantasy, I like dragonlance or any of the forgotten realms :P I rarely read self published books, simply because of its availability.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a fantastic read. I was quite taken with the cover before I read anything. I would definitely read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such a good book blogger to take on self-published books and give them a help. I do like the idea of time travel books as long as I can make sense of what is happening -- they have to be well-done or I get messed up in the concepts and lose the story.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)