Sunday, December 6, 2009

Audiobook Review: The Stolen Moon of Londor

Book cover
Title: The Stolen Moon of Londor
Author: A. P. Stephens
Narrated by: Richard Webster
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Pub Date: September 2009
Book Source: audio edition through Podiobooks, recommended by the author for review

Synopsis

The era of peace among the elves, men, and dwarves comes to an end when one of Londor’s twin moons disappears from the heavens. Without the moon’s balancing effect, evil forces grow bold, and warfare, sickness, and chaos threaten life itself.

Hearing the prayers of desperation that ride on the violent winds, the ancient wizard Randor Miithra, servant to the elf-gods, takes it upon himself to mend the world he has sworn to protect. The task will not be an easy one, though, for the wizard, too, has begun to feel the effects of the world’s imbalance. As Randor struggles to maintain some semblance of his powers, he meets a secretive band of colorful characters from all walks of life, drawn together by a common goal: to find the stolen moon, whatever the cost. It does not take Randor and his motley company long to see that someone or something does not want the moon returned to the heavens.

The road is perilous…the stakes have never been greater…will they find victory…or will they only find their deaths?

My Thoughts

When A. P. Stephens first contacted me regarding his book, I was very interested in checking out his first book in The White Shadow Saga, The Stolen Moon of Londor. I am very much a fantasy reader and lover and this book sounded intriguing. Is it ever! I enjoyed listening to it from start to finish and can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the paperback to read through it again.

In my opinion, The Stolen Moon of Londor ranks right up there with some of my other favorite fantasy reads: Terry Brooks, Tolkien, Terry Goodkind... Stephens is great at giving a lot of vivid detail without becoming so involved that you lose sight of the story. As any good quest would have, there are many different characters, with varying personalities and talents, involved in this adventure to recover the stolen moon. Oh, and how about that for a fresh, new idea in fantasy? I am still anxious to find out where this story is going after the first book--how does one steal a moon, after all, even in a fantasy novel? But back to the characters--obviously they are not yet fully developed as this is only the first book in the saga, but already I can see that there will likely be some surprises along the way with this group. I can't even say that I have a favorite character yet, though I expect that to change as I continue reading the saga.

As far as audiobooks go, I have to admit I have never been too keen on listening to involved stories, because I worry that I will miss something. I was surprised at how easily I was able to follow and keep up with the events that were transpiring. I think it helps that Stephens does not get too involved in various events--the battle scenes are descriptive without becoming too bogged down, the world and events are presented in great detail without being wordy... In short, this book is well-written and to the point; there's not a lot of fluff here. The only thing I thought was missing was a more detailed account of the world of Londor itself. I didn't always find that I could picture it in my head, and perhaps that is something that will change when I reread the book as opposed to listening to it, I can't be sure.

I am most definitely looking forward to continuing The White Shadow Saga and anxiously await the publication of the second book. I would think that any reader who shares my affinity to fantasy works would enjoy Stephens' book and I urge you to check it out!

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of The Stolen Moon of Londor:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your review here, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

7 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of starting to listen to audio books since I recently began a job that would allow me to do this while working. I've tried audio books a couple of times in the past but I found the author's voices to be too annoying for me to enjoy the books. But this book sounds good so maybe I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was not a series I was familiar with so I'm so excited you reviewed it. I'm going to have to get a hold of it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where did you find an audio of this? i looked on amazon and audible.com...no can find! i want to find!!! HELP! or, if you you don't want to keep it, maybe we could swap.
    spvaughan@yahoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to always get a hard copy to follow along with when listening to a detailed audiobook. This one sounds really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simcha ~ I enjoyed Richard Webster's reading for this--the British accent worked for me for this kind of book.

    Ryan G ~ Hope you give it a try if you're into fantasy/quest books. I enjoyed it!

    HODGE (and everyone else) ~ The book is available at iTunes or podiodbooks.com for download if you prefer to listen to it.

    Ladytink ~ Good idea! :-) I'll have to settle for re-reading it down the road. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I've heard good things about Podiobooks... might think about putting my book up there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love audio books! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)