Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Review: The Awakening

Book cover
Title: The Awakening
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Paranormal
Pub Date: April 2009, HarperCollins Publishers
Hardcover, 368 pages
Book Source: purchased from BN.com

Synopsis

If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl — someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment — not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control; I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends — a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch — and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying. 

My Thoughts

Unlike the first book in Armstrong's Darkest Powers series, I thought The Awakening was pretty fast-paced from the beginning. The characters are growing and developing much more in this book, but the plotting still feels a little shaky and all over the place. Nevertheless, I am anxious to see how this story unfolds and wraps up in the third book, The Reckoning, which is due out in April.

This book finds Chloe learning more about the Edison Group and the experiment they have been performing on children with supernatural powers. Not only does this storyline focus on Chloe and her friends' quest to discover the truth about the Edison Group, but Armstrong also gives us a glimpse into the dark and difficult life for kids on the street. The two characters who probably grow the most during this stage of the adventure are Chloe and Derek, both discovering what they are capable of and trying to understand how they can control their respective powers. Even Tori shows us what she is capable of (though still obnoxious as ever), and together, all four of them, Simon included, make a smart and resourceful team.

If you enjoyed The Summoning, I think I can safely say that that you will enjoy The Awakening, perhaps even more than the first book. I know I did, and I am looking forward to finding out how Armstrong wraps this story up in The Reckoning.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of The Awakening:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your review here, please leave a comment with the link to your review and I will add it to the list!

10 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed The Awakening and I'm glad you did too =) The Summoning saved me this summer when I couldn't seem to find anything that interested me in the heat.

    Great review! Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my TBR list from another blogger as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't love this series, but I am liking it. I look forward to book 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really am looking forward to my next book shopping.
    I wanna buy The Summoning and this book since I heard a lot of good reviews about that Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to make a button trade.
    I've featured yours and I hope you would featured mine :)
    http://ireadnireview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Summoning was actually one of the very few YA books I enjoyed in 2009 and I am definitely looking forward to reading The Awakening, especially now that you think that it is fast-paced (that was the only flaw in part one, a little too slow).

    Happy New Year to you and your loved ones Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the first book but haven't gotten around to this one yet. Glad to hear you like it, it makes me want to put it towards the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there - we LOVE your blog and agree with a lot of what is being said. Being from Sydney Australia it's refreshing to hear views from others around the world and to know we are not alone in thinking about this. Keep up the good work!
    Regards
    Associated Counselling Psychologists Sydney

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)