Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last Review of 2009: The Truth About Forever

Book cover
Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction
Pub Date: May 2004, Penguin Group (USA)
Hardcover, 374 pages
Book Source: purchased from Booksamillion.com

Synopsis

I long dull summer stretches ahead of Macy while her boyfriend Jason is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of her father.


But sometimes unexpected things can happen--things like the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things like meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder if it really is better to be safe than sorry.

My Thoughts

I actually didn't think I would be able to squeak this review in before the New Year. That was before I really started getting into this book, though--before I couldn't put it down this afternoon.


The Truth About Forever is now officially my favorite book by Sarah Dessen that I have read so far. (I can even add it to my failed Sarah Dessen Challenge... Still 4 books shy of finishing that one.) I had heard many great things about this particular book and I can understand why. Dessen really has a talent for writing gripping, seemingly real-life YA fiction. There are always intriguing characters that have so many facets to their personalities--and you can be sure that there is more to them than meets the eye. Macy undergoes quite a transformation from a girl who is essentially living in her "perfect" boyfriend's shadow, to someone who finally takes chances and dares to live her life the way she wants to. I can honestly say it was sort of exciting to watch her change and grow--one of the reasons I enjoyed this book so much. Wes is definitely one of the many-faceted characters in this story, and through his game of Truth with Macy we learn more and more about him as the story progresses.


The Truth About Forever is a story about many things: death and grieving, love, friendship, and family (and often how all of those intermingle). I do sometimes find myself frustrated with the way that Dessent portrays some of the family interactions, but I have a feeling that is because I never experienced the same things in my own youth with my parents and have a hard time imagining events unfolding the way they do at times.

If you enjoy Dessen's books, I can't imagine that you wouldn't enjoy this one. With The Truth About Forever, she has come a long way from her first book, but it is still classic Sarah Dessen.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of The Truth About Forever:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

9 comments:

  1. This one is my favorite Dessen novel too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's on my list. I read a couple other Dessens awhile back and thought they were okay but they didn't wow me. I hear this one is The One, though. Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wanted to say Happy New Years

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is my favorite too. I just LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your website is excellent, is very complete, thanks for the information.


    LATEST CELEBRITIES NEWS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for a bunch of good tips. I look forward to reading more on the topic in the future. Keep up the good work! This blog is going to be great resource. Love reading it.

    buy dissertation online

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great info on {the topic of the blog}. It will guide many of the readers.

    thesis papers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed this book, too -- I linked to this review today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)