Monday, December 28, 2009

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters

Prophecy cover
Title: Prophecy of the Sisters
Author: Michelle Zink
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Paranormal
Pub Date: August 2009; Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 352 pages
Book Source: purchased from BN.com

Synopsis

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.


My Thoughts

It took me awhile to read this book--there were many glowing reviews out there and I figured I would wait a bit before jumping in and checking it out. In the end, I am definitely glad I read it, but I have to admit it was slow going for me for about the first 100 pages--I had a difficult time getting drawn into the story initially.

The writing is great--as some of you may know from past reviews, I am not usually fond of the first person present tense in many books I read. The phrasing can feel awkward at times, in my opinion. Not so with this book! It was so well-written that I didn't even notice the point of view and tense for most of the book, which was a pleasant surprise. I also enjoyed the late 19th-century setting and felt that Zink did justice to the language and customs of the time.

Ultimately what I really appreciated about this book was the refreshing premise--this story is different from so much of the paranormal young adult fiction out right now. I also really appreciate the fact that the synopsis doesn't give too much away--that really adds to the enjoyment of the story, in my opinion. Once I was able to really be drawn into the plot and the characters I didn't want to put the book down. And silly me--somehow, even with all of the reviews out there, I didn't realize this was going to be a trilogy going into the book, and now that I've finished it I wish I had the second book close at hand! I am hoping that there will be further character development of some of the secondary main characters in the coming books. I feel that there was so much focus on the sisters, Lia and Alice, that some of the other important characters were left out in the cold.

The final verdict: Prophecy of the Sisters was definitely worth the read and, for me, mostly lived up to all the hype and great reviews out there.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of Prophecy of the Sisters:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your review here, please leave a comment with the URL for your review and I will add it to the list!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review of Prophecy. I hope you enjoy the second book, Guardian of the Gate, just as much!
    <3

    MZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for stopping by my blog! I can't wait for Guardian of the Gate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review. I have read other reviews on this book as well. I learned more about the book here as well. Thanks for all the information. I may have to get to this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the audio version of this one which I hope to read in 2010. I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i saw your twitter and retwittered it before coming back to your review, which, as always is well written. i was gunho this book and then for some reason went off it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you liked this book. I've had my eye on it for awhile.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa & Anna ~ I definitely recommend it!

    Diane ~ I bet the audio version is good to listen to!

    Sandy ~ Maybe you'll pick it back up again... It was slow going for me for awhile but then all the sudden I was sucked in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't Michelle Zink fab. I got this book for Christmas and she wrote on my blog about hoping that I enjoyed it. I can't wait to read it and didn't realise there was a second one coming out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book out from the library, but I don't know if I am going to find enough time to read it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)