Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: Destined

Title: Destined
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Paranormal
Pub Date: May 2012, Harper Teen
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased from Amazon.com

Synopsis (from the dust jacket)

Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.

Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.

My Thoughts

The quotation from author Claudia Gray at the top of the dust jacket sums up exactly how I felt about this book: "The perfect ending."  If a series has to come to a close, I always hope that by the time I turn the last page I have that feeling of contentment and satisfaction with how the story is wrapped up.  I enjoyed every book in this series and really thought that each book improved upon the last.  Since I was on my blogging hiatus for the release of the third book, Illusions, I did not review it, but you can revisit my reviews of Wings and Spells should you care to.

With Destined, you have non-stop action from the start of the story.  Again, we are focusing primarily on Laurel, Tamani, David, and Chelsea as they battle to save Avalon from almost certain destruction.  The love triangle is finally no more, though Laurel doesn't really make her ultimate choice until towards the end of the book.  However, you basically know in whose favor the tide is turning at this point, anyway.  The ultimate battle for Avalon is a powerful climax and Pike does an incredible job portraying the many angles of fighting and the horror that Klea brings upon the fairies.  Though not as prevalent in this story, Yuki plays a key role near the end... hmm, no pun intended for those of you who have read this.  That is my only spoiler and it was totally unintended.

I honestly have no complaints about how Pike ended this series.  I thought the characters were at their best, the plot and pacing was about as close to perfection as you could get, and though I was sad to see the story end, I was totally content when I closed the book.  If you haven't given these books a try, yet, I highly recommend them -- particularly if you enjoy fairy lore.  Wings is certainly not as strong as its sequels, but it should be pretty obvious that there is great potential upon finishing that first book.

My rating:
5 stars

If you have reviewed this book, please feel free to comment and leave think link to your review!

4 comments:

  1. This is the type of review that makes me wish I could get into YA more than I am. I'm intrigued by your love for this series so I may have to give it a go one day. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Ryan, I can understand why YA wouldn't be for everyone, no matter how much some of us love it. :-) We all have different tastes and there are books out there that I wish I could be more into when I read other people's reviews, but I know from past reading experiences that chances are it's not a book that will resonate with me... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't blown away by Wings so I haven't read on, but wow, the covers to her series are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know -- I love the covers! I think the series definitely gets better after Wings, though I did actually enjoy Wings the first time around.

      Delete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)