Saturday, June 9, 2012

Saturday Snapshot (06.09.12)

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at Alyce's blog, At Home With Books.

Well, as I promised in last week's snapshot post, this week would be all about my daughter's big first birthday bash.  I couldn't pick just one photo, obviously, but I will do my best to limit it to just five (thank you to my cousin for getting so many awesome pics of the event)! :-)  We had an amazing time with family and friends, managing to cram about 17 of us in our rather small town home.  Luckily the weather was gorgeous, so people could hang out on our patio, as well.

We only had one mishap -- we gave my daughter a small cake to smash.  Well, she wasn't so much about smashing it as just trying to pick off the dots of icing around the edge.  It was pretty funny.  We soon came to realize that my husband hadn't managed to attach the highchair tray correctly, though, and the entire cake toppled off onto the floor, upside down.  We salvaged what was left and gave it back to Laura, and once all of that icing was out of the way, she wasn't quite so dainty as she ate it :-)

A great time was had by all, as you will see (click on the pictures to enlarge them):

My mother and I made cupcakes and a little cake, as well as homemade buttercream, which I colored to match the colors of the theme and used to decorate everything.

Most of the decorations -- the theme was Winnie The Pooh's First Birthday.

Laura actually wore her party hat longer than I thought she would.  This is one of my favorite pics of her in it.

Mmmm.... (not sure what the nose scrunching was about, haha). By the way, her hands and face were the extent of her mess.  We were fortunately to just be able to wipe her off and not have to take her away for a bath and wardrobe change!

Our neighbor was holding her up, love how the wind caught her skirt :-)

And I know I've promised not to always feature our daughter, but we did just take her to the pool for the first time, so you can probably expect to see pictures of that event next week ;-)

24 comments:

  1. What fantastic pictures - I love the cakes, and your daughter with her face covered in chocolate. It brought back so many memories of my daughters when they were small. We had a tea party with them earlier this week, and enjoyed ourselves so much we forgot to take photos!So my Sat Snapshot is of my little knitted Queen. http://chriscross-thebooktrunk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw really sweet pictures, what a cute first birthday! And those cupcakes look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cakes look yummy! Laura looks so happy to be the birthday girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special day. I love how you captured it. She is a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures! And happy 1st birthday, little Laura:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's a sweetie pie. I don't blame her for keeping the birthday hat on. It's so cute. The cake and cupcakes are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! The baby and the party remind us all of the joy of "firsts."

    I bet she's scrunching because a crumb went up her nose....lol

    I do enjoy Winnie the Pooh...and your decorations are beautiful.

    Thanks for sharing...and here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and thanks for the No Captcha! Lately Blogger's presentations are almost impossible for me to get on the first try! lol

      Delete
  8. She's so precious. The decorations, the cake and cupcakes -- all gorgeous. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely cake and fun decorations. I love Laura in her party hat, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful decorations--and she looks adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, what beautiful pictures. What a cutie. We've been down that route with kids and grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute! When my little man turned 1, I had a pooh theme for him too, and I love having cupcakes for birthdays, they rock! It looks like a very happy day :) Happy Birthday to your little one! Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tree of cup cakes and the memorable first birthday.
    Lovely.
    Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo sweet! Love the 'Marilyn Monroe' wind thing with her little skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When they are babies there are a million cute things to take photos of and share, and I'm certain no one minds (especially the parents in the group). :) It looks like a lot of work went into the decorations and cakes - lovely!

    My oldest has never liked sugar much, and on his first birthday he dabbed his finger in the frosting then tasted it, made a face and decided he was done. It was pretty funny and unexpected. His younger brother ate all of the frosting on his first birthday and left the cake behind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. First birthday parties are always so much fun. And something about cupcakes, I will always go for them before reaching for the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cake and cupcakes look absolutely delectable!!!! Nothing like homemade buttercream! My middle daughter had a Winnie the Pooh birthday party for her first bday too...she's almost 18 now :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great birthday! Winnie the Pooh must be the designated first birthday party...my son had Pooh as well (19 now).

    And that last picture! She looks like she could fly.


    Here's my Snapshot

    ReplyDelete
  19. It must be great having photos like #4 that you can share with your daughter's friends when she's older. Awesome birthday theme!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa, it looks like terrific fun was had by all!
    Incidentally, that fourth photo is very much what I myself usually look like [minus the cuteness] after I leave McDonald's, to this day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy birthday to your sweet baby Laura! The cake looks delicious and I love Laura's little smile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adorable! And Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)