Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: Surrender The Heart

Title: Surrender The Heart
Author: MaryLu Tyndall
Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction
Pub Date: August 2012, Barbour Publishing
Format: Kindle eBook
Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.com

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

On the brink of the War of 1812, Marianne Denton must marry to unlock her inheritance. Without the money, her mother can't receive medical care and her sister will be destitute. But Noah Brenin needs to sail his cargo to England before the war commences in order to prove his worth to his father and make enough money so he won't have to marry at all.

Defying his father's wishes, Noah loathes the idea of marrying a woman he finds plain and pompous. Marianne wants nothing to do with the rogue who taunted her as a child, yet she must convince him otherwise or her mother will die. 

But when Noah walks out on their engagement party, Marianne chases him down and ends up on his merchantman out at sea. The situation worsens when Noah's ship encounters a British man-of-war and the couple are impressed into the British navy. While a young lad's prophecy of destiny looms over them both, Marianne and Noah are forced to face their darkest fears as they desperately try to find a way to escape and fulfill their destinies-destinies that could change the course of the war and history forever.

My Thoughts

This book (and this author) came highly recommended by my favorite Christian Fiction author Julie Lessman. I had never read anything by MaryLu Tyndall, so I thought I would give it a shot, since the story sounded pretty interesting. Of course, as with all new-to-me Christian Fiction, I go in hoping that I am not going to be preached to in an overbearing manner, as is sometimes the case. I also worry about running into the common theme of not becoming "unequally yoked," which is usually a major, MAJOR turn-off for me in Christian romances. Thankfully, neither of those dreaded motifs occurs with Surrender The Heart. The majority of religious references have to do with regaining a lost faith in God. I suppose that is a common theme in most Christian Fiction works, as well, but it does not rub me the wrong way like the treatment of "unequally yoked" partners almost always does.

Enough about that, let's talk about the story! Oh my, but Marianne and Noah end up finding themselves in quite an adventure! Admittedly, the storyline and the presumed effects the pair would have on history and the War of 1812 are unbelievably far-fetched, but this is a work of fiction, after all! With Marianne and Noah, sometimes it was frustrating to watch them wonder or simply assume what the other must thinking of them. Overall, however, I found the development of their relationship so much fun to watch as it unfolded and grew into something richer while they both also grew in strength of faith, both in each other and themselves. This book will keep you turning pages, wanting to know how Marianne and Noah can possibly get through the ordeal in which they found themselves.

In sum, I think it is safe to say that this won't be my last book by Tyndall! Her writing style is descriptive without being flowery and over the top and she knows how to draw her characters and develop them in tune with the story. Not to mention, Tyndall provides a great supporting cast in the form of Noah's crew and the Captain and other high-ranking officers on the British naval ship where Noah and Marianne were forced to serve. If you enjoy Christian Historical Fiction, along with plenty of action and romance, I don't think you'll be disappointed with Surrender The Heart!

My Rating
4 stars

2 comments:

  1. I read this one I think a couple years ago and remember liking it....if your looking for good CF authors you should try my two favorites: Gina Holmes...she is fabulous, her book Crossing Oceans, I must have sobbed a bucket....and Susan May Warren, her Deep Haven Series is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the recommendations, Tina! I am always looking for new CF authors to try. I will definitely check out those books :-) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)