Monday, June 15, 2009

Mystery Mondays - Discussion Question

MysteryMondayslogo Welcome to another edition of Mystery Mondays at Melissa's Bookshelf. The hubby and I are back safe and sound from the family reunion in NC, but with all the drama (it was a crazy, crazy trip) I did not have time to read a mystery (or any other book) for a review today. Instead I thought I'd pose a question to see how you mystery-lovers out there feel about this...

Do you prefer to read a mystery that you are able to piece together all the clues and solve by the end of the story? Or would you rather be totally shocked by the outcome? (As long as the resolution is at least feasible, of course.)

Personally, I admit that I get great satisfaction out of being able to solve a mystery--probably because I am rarely able to do so, it seems. However, if an author is able to take me completely by surprise and also back it up with evidence in the story, I think I prefer the mysteries with the unexpected twist at the end. There's just something about that eye-opening, jaw-dropping reaction that makes those books worth the read.

So, what do you think? Please leave a comment below!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the mysteries where I end up being completely surprised by the outcome. It's why I read them in the first place. I do of course try to figure it out but if it doesn't turn out how I think, it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to be surprised. I have tried to solve the mysteries in the past, but then I realized I spent more time trying to solve the mystery than reading.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)