Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Salon (06.07.09): Review: City of Bones

SundaySalon

Happy Sunday, Saloners! I've gotten away from "Week-In-Review" posts and have shamefacedly been absent from the Salon for the last few Sundays. I just haven't had much to post about and have decided that I will only have review posts for my monthly recaps. This week, however, I just happened to finish City of Bones in time for a Sunday review, so that will be my Sunday Salon post for the day!

City of Bones coverTitle: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Pub Date: 2007, Margaret K. McElderry Books
Hardcover, 485 pages

Synopsis

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder — much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing — not even a smear of blood — to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

My Thoughts

I actually received this book in the mail several weeks ago, finally ordering it despite the hype, yet it still took me awhile to finally read it. Shame on me! Given the reviews I've read from many reviewers I share similar tastes with, I don't know why I was so hesitant to read this. I had a hard time putting this book down, and never did for long. Just about every supernatural creature (demons, vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches, warlocks, etc.) is present in this book, whether a character in the story or simply talked about. I thought this added a lot of dimension to the story, as opposed to just focusing on vampires or faeries, or a couple of the various supernatural races.

City of Bones is fast-paced with witty writing. It has been a long time, if ever, that I have read a book that is so full of well-timed sarcastic dialogue and I really enjoyed it. Being of a sarcastic nature, myself, I really thought that Clare did a great job working that into the story. Really, the dialogues felt very realistic to me, not forced or fake, as I sometimes find with some books. I also enjoyed the characters. Clary is a great heroine, very dynamic and full of spunk. And yes, there's a bit of a love triangle--I seem to be reading about those often these days. Both Jace and Simon are perfect to fill those last two spots in the triangle, and it is interesting to watch their story develop. Clare did a great job with all the characters in this story--I think her gift for writing sharp dialogue really helped with their characterization and development.

Can I say that with all the twists and turns in the plot, many of which I could see coming, one of the biggest twists of all actually caught me by surprise? Of course, I won't tell you what that is, and actually there are probably two "really big twists" so I'll let those of you who have read this wonder which one I'm referring to. :-) I have already ordered books 2 and 3 of The Mortal Instruments series and can't wait to pick up the story in City of Ashes.

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of City of Bones:

Becky's Book Reviews ~ Em's Bookshelf ~ Reverie Book Reviews
The Book Reader ~ Tower of Books ~ YA Reads
Just Add Books ~ About Books ~ Karin's Book Nook
Reader Rabbit ~ The Bookshelf Reviews ~ The Book Muncher
One Librarian's Book Reviews ~ A High and Hidden Place
{Insert Book Title Here}

If you have reviewed this book and don't see your site listed above, please leave me a comment with the link to your review and I'll add it to the list!!

10 comments:

  1. I loved this series - I felt like each one got better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this! I love witty dialog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was such a great surprise! The premise itself was terrific, but what I enjoyed most was the dialogue. Like you say it feels very realistic. Loved the plot twists too - I guessed one early on, but was still shocked lol! Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you would like that one too. It is just a fabulous read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to her you enjoyed it! I just recently bought it and I'm sure I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loved this series. Could not stop reading in a freakish had-to-finish-or-the-world-would-end kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a fantastic series as well. Evidence here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear they keep getting better & better! I know I'm going to have to put some other books aside to read these when they arrive :-D

    melissa ~ thanks for the link, I have added you to the list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked your review, and will be putting this on my wish list. Agree that there's nothing better than witty writing and sarcastic dialogue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)