Thursday, July 19, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Series or Stand Alone?

Um, wow, can't remember the last time I participate in this meme, but when I saw today's question, "Series or Stand Alone?", I couldn't resist participating this week!

And the funny thing is, I don't really have a firm answer one way or the other. I appreciate and love both types of books just about equally.

On the one hand, I love serial books because they keep the story going and I enjoy remaining in worlds and visiting with characters that I have come to know and love (and sometimes hate, haha). Of course, there are times when after a couple of books, a series might start to fall flat for me, and that is certainly disappointing in the few instances I've experienced it. And sometimes a series might just be one book too long. Naturally, when I hit the end of a favorite series, it is bittersweet, but I know that down the road I might immerse myself in the world again with a good re-reading. And there is a certain satisfaction with turning the final page in a series. I'll never forget the way I felt when the Harry Potter books ended -- so sad to leave Harry and Hogwarts, but truly satisfied with the way J. K. Rowling wrapped up her seven-book series. Hmm, just thinking about it makes me want to re-read them, if only I had the time to right now!

All of that said, sometimes it is just nice to read a book and know that all loose ends are resolved and the story is over. Maybe I don't have time to devote to a series or maybe I just want to be able to read a book and move on to something completely different.

So in summary, I really think there are merits to both kinds of books and I have favorites among them both, as well. I do seem to gravitate towards series, though I sometimes think that's because it seems like every author I read is writing these days. Even books that could stand alone are often part of a series that switches points of view to different characters within the same world/family/whatever. But I do love a good Georgette Heyer one-book read or a stand-alone mystery, as well!

How about you? Are you more decisive than I am with your preference?

4 comments:

  1. I prefer stand alone, unless a series is really good, like Harry Potter.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer stand-alone books but like you said series haves their place. They are becoming increasingly popular, tooo. I enjoyed racing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mix is good sometimes.

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/07/booking-through-thursday_19.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer stand-alones, but I don't mind a really good series.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)