Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday Snapshot (07.21.12) - Birthday Cake!

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at Alyce's blog, At Home With Books.

Well, I haven't been able to get back to work on our laundry room, so I can't share any final pictures with you just yet.

Instead, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of the little cake I decorated for my mother's birthday last Saturday. We have really taken to making cake layers in 6" round pans -- they create cute little cakes that are easy to decorate and don't sit around being eaten for days and days.

My mother and I took a basic cake decorating class together back in April and we share a lot of the "equipment" we use to decorate cakes. She brought over a bunch of stuff last week so I had everything I would need to decorate her cake. Except there were some key pieces missing -- couplers so that I could switch out different icing tips but still use the same color of icing. Long story short, it meant I couldn't actually even make some of the flowers I wanted to make, not to mention I was still having to do some makeshift tricks to do what I was able to do.

In the end, while it wasn't what I had originally wanted to do, I was pretty happy with the way the cake turned out. And my mother loved it, so I suppose that's all that mattered, anyway! (I was equally thrilled when I saw how well the layers baked up -- nice and even! Sometimes I never know with my oven... I actually took a picture of those, too, haha, but they're on my phone and not really worth sharing.)

I took the first three pictures right after I decorated the cake the evening before my mother's birthday. My dad took the last picture when they were over at our house for dinner. I'm not sure what setting he used or why his pictures would look so different from mine (we have the same camera), but I liked the way the cake looked -- more dimensional, somehow -- so I thought I'd share that picture, too :-)





I'm not sure how many of you remember my Saturday Snapshot post of Laura's first birthday party, but if these icing colors look at all familiar, yes, they are left over from that. :-)

Happy Saturday! Have a great weekend, everyone!

26 comments:

  1. I love to bake, but cakes and I do not get along. They're always lopsided. Yours looks great. Hope your mom had a nice birthday. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, We're following in each other's footsteps today. I posted on another blog and yours popped up right in front of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a piece of that cake! Gimmee!


    Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, that looks like something from a bakery! Happy Birthday to your mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cake! Too pretty to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's gorgeous. I can't even bake a cake much less decorate it. I can cook meals just fine but end up at the bakery when I need something that looks as good as this.

    The difference in the last picture could be due to the lighting. It looks softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I took pics (but didn't share them) at the same time my dad did, and my pictures still looked more like the ones I took that I posted. I need to learn more about using my camera and all the settings, lol :-)

      Delete
  7. I haven't baked a cake in years! Once upon a time, I made all kinds of cakes, including sponge cakes and chiffon cakes (my mother's recipes). I think my daughter has the recipes now.

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful cake and the various versions of it...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking cake! I am not a huge fan of icing to eat, but I enjoy the talented people that decorate with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you did a fabulous job - that cake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really pretty. I can't remember when I last did fancy icing on a cake! My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/ha45K

    ReplyDelete
  11. Icing is not my strong point - it's obviously yours! Your cake looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job, I decorate, and your edges are my nemesis. I often put candy to disguise my errors. Paulita you should check out some of the cake decorating sites, lopsided cakes are the "thing" right now. http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

    ReplyDelete
  13. the cake turned out lovely! It makes me want to take a cake decorating class too, I love to bake, but my decorating skills are pretty sad. Thanks for sharing, Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so pretty! You did a great job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks yummy. Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How pretty! Reminds me of the cakes my mom and aunt used to make.

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've always wanted to decorate a cake!! this one is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for the kind words everyone! I don't know about you all, but I could really go for some cake now :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did such a great job with the cake, pity we can't share that too- it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always tell people I'm not a huge cake fan, but when I see one that looks this good, I seem to find myself wanting some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cakes always look so good! Happy late birthday to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful cake. I love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)