Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Snapshot (07.14.12) - Laundry Room Re-do (In Progress)

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at Alyce's blog, At Home With Books.

As promised, I'm posting a few pictures of the laundry room "refresh" I've been working on. The vast majority is done -- painting, putting up some extra shelves & the ironing board holder along with a wall-mounted drying rack. However, I am still working on hiding the ugly water heater so it won't detract from all the changes I've made. I'm also putting together a scrapbook paper display that I got the idea for on Pinterest. Sadly, my pages are nowhere near as cool as those, but they DO go with the new paint color, so that's what matters, right? :-)

Anyway, here are some pictures for you! I'll start with a few BEFORE pictures:

The one shelf is loaded with toilet paper, detergent, fabric softener, etc., as well as our paper towel supply.

A closer look at the shelves. I like to buy in bulk :-)

Here's the gosh-awful water heater.

I had to include this picture. Someone wasn't happy about being on the other side of that gate while I painted around trim and other edges.

And here are the AFTER pictures:

Ta-da! The almost-finished product. I installed some small shelves over the washer/dryer to hold detergent, etc. I also put up a heavy-duty tension rod to hold our extra hangers and provide some extra drying space. And we finally a good place to store the ironing board! On the wall to the right, I have since installed a wall-mounted telescoping drying rack (no picture yet, sorry), and above that is where I plan to hang my scrapbook paper display.

A close-up of the shelves. I have since stocked up on paper towels to fill that top shelf ;-) And I have to admit, I had no idea just how much I was going to love this new wall color!

I am in LOVE with having these shelves -- finally the detergent, etc. is in a more convenient location for me. I'm not short, but it was difficult to reach up to the other shelves to get this stuff. So, I bought some nice jars for the detergent (homemade on the left, Tide we are still working through on the right) and some cute baskets to hold other items like stain remover, fabric softener, etc.

Yep, the water heater is still there...

This is the fabric I picked out to make curtains to cover the water heater. I am going to install (with help) ceiling mounted flexible curtain tracks to hang these down to the base of the water heater. Y'all don't realize what a big deal this is -- I don't sew. At all. Hopefully I won't screw this up -- I've got some help in the form of my aunt, who is very talented with a sewing machine, so I should be okay.

So, there you have it! I am enjoying having a more functional laundry room and I can't wait to have it truly finished.  I'll post the pictures of the finishing touches once they're finally complete -- hoping to have it done within the next week or two, but we'll see if I can squeeze in the time.

31 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fun journey...I do love seeing decorating changes that include functional items. I was just going to suggest some kind of curtain around the water heater...and there you have it! I don't sew either, but have made all kinds of things from sheets that only required one hem or two.

    Enjoy! And thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol -- at first I wasn't keen on the idea of a curtain until my aunt told me about the flexible curtain rack that could be mounted on the ceiling. I think it will be a cleaner look coming straight down from there... we will see!! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. It looks wonderful - I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! so much I actually enjoy going into our laundry room now ;-)

      Delete
  3. It all looks very neat and tidy. You've given me ideas for a make-over in our tiny utility room... My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/qCafm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- it definitely feels good to have it cleaned up and organized. I'm pretty sure I'll be more motivated to keep it that way now, too.

      Delete
  4. What a great job! I've always wanted to put in a tension bar in our laundry room, but haven't gotten it done yet. Maybe this will inspire me!

    Here's my Snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the heavy duty rod (holds up to 50 pounds) at Target -- it works great so far!!

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine having such a great laundry room. Even with the water heater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! It wasn't even on my radar to do this until about 4 days before I did. Got some inspiration from a friend on Facebook and just took it and ran. Guess I ran too fast because now I'm lagging to finish, haha.

      Delete
  6. *sigh* I wish I had the motivation to organize my laundry room...it's a hot mess currently. Your overhaul is inspiring though, great job it looks wonderful! Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Guess I just got in that mindset to get it done. Wish I'd been able to really finish it, but I'm sure I'll manage to here soon. (I hope.)

      Delete
  7. This is for sure the neatest, tidiest, cleanest laundry room I have ever seen.
    You have done fantastic work!
    And it will look even better when you hide R2D2 behind that really nice curtain.
    My own weekend project involves...... transplanting a plant.
    Other than that -- TOTAL RELAXATION!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Lol @ R2D2, love that, but I can't wait to hide him, that's for sure! Total relaxation sounds excellent to me! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I love the new wall color--it makes a small room look bigger. Good luck with your curtains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I had the same thought after I finished and I wasn't sure if it was the new color or just the fact that everything is so neat and organized for a change ;-)

      Delete
  9. That is so nice and orderly and pretty. My poor little laundry room has stuff bulging from the shelves. It could use a redo... maybe when it gets cold outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It actually doesn't take much to make it more functional I discovered. Found lots of inspiration on Pinterest ;-)

      Delete
  10. I'm so impressed. My laundry room is ugly. But I just don't have the energy to do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I totally understand... I don't know where my energy came from. It's usually all I can do to keep up with the usual stuff around the house.

      Delete
  11. Great job! I love that stripe material you'll be using for the water heater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty excited about that, too -- I like it more every time I look at it. I just really need to do something with it, lol.

      Delete
  12. Good for you! It's so satisfying, isn't it ? A bit of thought and hard work and voila! Coolness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And yes it is VERY satisfying. Your comment totally sums up how I feel like the entire process went, too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Love the paint color. Those stripes are going to be so cheery!
    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked all the pictures....before and after. In fact you inspired me to renovate my laundry space. Mine looks so crowded and is more like a store.

    I will do what I can and post pictures!

    BIG THANKS for inspiring me...!!

    BTW, here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the material you got to hide the water heater, and am jealous of your low shelves. I've got everything on top of my dryer because I'm too short to reach the shelves in our laundry room without a stool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the paint colour too. Wish I could get inspired to paint my laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your laundry room really looks great, and will be even better when you get the curtain up to hide the ater heater. I really like that fabric for this room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Remodeling is so satisfying. I love re-creating spaces. Fun pix. Especially the little one not wanting to be left out. :-)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)