Friday, April 26, 2013

REVIEW: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles #1
Genre: YA Dystopian
Pub Date: January 2012, Feiwal & Friends
Format: eBook (Nook)
Source: Purchased from BN.com
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

MY THOUGHTS

So this is one of those books that I saw popping up on Teaser Tuesday posts recently, along with the second book in the series, Scarlet. I'll admit what I saw had me intrigued, but I was a little skeptical. But then I kept reading glowing review after glowing review and my curiosity was piqued even more. I guess I have B&N to thank for having their NYT Bestselling titles for Nook on sale for 50% off this weekend, because that is what finally spurred me to just take the leap and give Cinder a try.

I've had a pretty good run of luck lately, as this was another book that I absolutely devoured and couldn't put down. I do love a good dystopian, and somehow I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Sci-Fi. Cinder is definitely an excellent blend of both, not to mention an incredibly unique "re-telling" of the Cinderella story. You'll never view this fairytale in the same way after reading this version! I really loved everything about this story -- the premise, the characters, the execution... I couldn't believe how quickly the pages flew by and before I knew it I had finished! I'll admit I figured out where part of the story was headed pretty quickly, but I really enjoyed seeing how Meyer revealed it bit by bit as the book went on. I know that's a bit cryptic...

It's funny, I find myself struggling to write this review because I don't want to give anything away, and so many things I keep thinking about mentioning really spoil too much of the story. One thing I can say is that I enjoyed the characters as much as I enjoyed Meyer's refreshingly original storyline. There's so much more to Cinder than meets the eye, Kai may be a prince, but that doesn't mean he always acts like one, and don't be surprised if you find yourself attached to a particular android... I'm so glad I went ahead and bought Scarlet, taking a chance that I'd want to continue the series. Of course, I'll have to play the waiting game along with everyone else to read the last two books in the Lunar Chronicles, but that just means I can look forward to a re-read before they are published!

 photo premade5.png

Read this book...
  • If you enjoyed the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld
  • If you like fairytale re-tellings
  • If you like YA Dystopian with a good mix of Sci-Fi
Links:

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)

4 comments:

  1. I've seen this book all over too! I have to get a couple books today from the bookstore so I might be adding this book to my Pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

    BTW-I have 7 giveaways going on at my site if you want to stop over and take a look. Hope you have a great weekend!

    Diane :o)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my favorite book of 2012! I loved how Marissa Meyer took the basic story of Cinderella and made it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Good to see your post! I may read this book again!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)