Saturday, August 15, 2009

Review: Fade To Blue

Fade To Blue coverTitle: Fade To Blue
Author: Sean Beaudoin
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi
Pub Date: August 2009, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Hardcover, 201 pages
Book Source: Blog Reach Solutions

Synopsis

Sophie Blue started wearing a black skirt and Midnight Noir lipstick on her last birthday. It was also the day her father disappeared. Or spontaneously combusted. Which is sort of bad timing, since a Popsicle truck with tinted windows has started circling the house.

Kenny Fade is a basketball god. His sneakers cost more than his Jeep. He's the guy all the ladies (and their mommas) want. Bad.

Sophie Blue and Kenny Fade don't have a thing in common. Aside from being reasonably sure they're losing their minds.

My Thoughts

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of this book. Fade to Blue is an off-beat, confusing read, and I'm pretty sure it's meant to be. Parts of the story find Sophie and Kenny questioning their sanity, and as I read this, I found myself wondering if I was going crazy, as well. The book is that difficult to follow, but at the same time I found myself wanting to find out just what in the world was going on!

For the sake of being up front, this is the strangest book I've read all year. (And possibly the most frustrating.) The plot feels like it is all over the place, yet it is obviously intricately written. It is as if the story is going forwards and then backwards again. The characters are all pretty quirky, and various names and brands sound suspiciously like names and brands we are familiar with, yet often they convey something else.

I should probably note that Fade to Blue is not a graphic novel, though the cover art suggests it may be. However, the story does revolve around comic books--well, one in particular... I can't say that this is a book for everyone, but I think that readers who like books that are out there and off-beat will enjoy this one. While not one of my favorite reads, I can appreciate what Beaudoin was working to achieve with Fade to Blue.

My rating: 3 stars

Other reviews of Fade to Blue:


If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site listed above, please leave a comment with the link to your review!

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I wasn't sure if I would read this and your review reassures my initial answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based from your review, I'm not sure if I want to read this too. But I like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was just too weird for me. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)