Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Finds (07.10.09)

Friday finds is hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. This week my finds came from a couple of different stores--one bargain book, and two used books. So first off we have the bargain book:

Echo Park by Michael Connelly. I sincerely hope it doesn't matter if you read these books in order, but if anyone thinks it does please let me know and I'll look for the first book in the series! (This is book #12). Here's the synopsis:

In 1995, Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a supermarket in Hollywood. Harry Bosch worked the case but couldn't crack it, and the 22-year-old woman never turned up, dead or alive. Now Bosch is in the Open-Unsolved Unit, where he still keeps the Gesto file on his desk, when he gets a call from the DA. A man accused of two heinous killings is willing to come clean about several other murders, including the killing of Marie Gesto. Bosch must now take Raynard Waits's confession and get close to the man he has sought - and hated - for eleven years. But when Bosch learns that he and his partner missed a clue back in 1995 that could have led them to Gesto's killer - and that would have stopped nine murders that followed - he begins to crack.

And from a local used bookstore...

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Last week I had their book, Dragons of a Fallen Sun on my Friday Finds list, and Okbolover was kind enough to point out that I should start with Dragons of Autumn Twilight so now I can do that! Here's the synopsis:

Life-long friends, they went their separate ways. Now they are together again, though each holds secrets from the others in his heart. They speak of a world shadowed with rumors of war. They speak of tales of strange monsters, creatures of myth, creatures of legend. They do not speak of their secrets. Not then. Not until a chance encounter with a beautiful, sorrowful woman, who bears a magical crystal staff, draws the companions deeper into the shadows, forever changing their lives and shaping the fate of the world.

Dragons of Winter Night by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. And since I saw this one at the same used bookstore I figured I should pick it up, too! I'm taking a chance that I'm going to love these books, I guess :-) Here's the synopsis:

Now the people know that the dragon minions of Takhisis, Queen of Darkness, have returned. The people of all nations prepare to fight to save their homes, their lives and their freedom. But the races have long been divided by hatred and prejudice. Elven warriors and human knights fight among themselves. It seems the battle has been lost before it begins.

The companions are separated, torn apart by war. A full season will pass before they meet again - if they meet again. As the darkness deepens, a disgraced knight, a pampered elfmaiden, and a rattlebrained kender stand alone in the pale winter sunlight.

Not much in the way of heroes.

What books did you find this week?

5 comments:

  1. SOme interesting finds :)

    I just found out about sequel of Da Vinci Code :) I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't give any advice on the Connelly book - I have 3 of his books and haven't had a chance to read any of them yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Weis and Hickman. To be able to read that series for the first time is quite a treat! I love Tas! He is probably one of my favourite literary characters of all time. I have the fourth book still to read, I have been saving it, but now you make me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa you'll want to read The Poet by Michael Connelly first those are two of his best books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veens ~ Enjoy! I have to admit I never read The DaVinci code...

    Bermudaonion ~ I nearly picked up another book by Connelly today but since I haven't read the one I have I decided not to.

    Kailana ~ Oh, great, now I'm looking forward to reading those books even more!

    Susie Sharp Librarian ~ Thanks for the tip! I'm now wondering if that was the Connelly bargain book I saw at B&N today. May have to go back and check it out.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)