Thursday, July 9, 2009

Review: City of Glass

City of Glass coverTitle: City of Glass
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Paranormal
Pub Date: March 2009, Simon & Schuster
Hardcover, 541 pages

Synopsis

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters — never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and her best friend, Simon, has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City — whatever the cost?

My Thoughts

I will start out by saying that this book was basically a perfect finish to an amazing series. City of Glass was definitely my favorite book of the three. This series has been likened to Harry Potter, and by the time I finished it I could certainly see some similarities, though I don't think it has as wide a reading audience as Harry Potter.

The characters are so well-developed throughout the story, you can't help but create attachments to them. Well, attachments to the likable characters, at any rate. And happily, every character with evil intent gets their just desserts by the end of the book, as well. Unlike the second book, I thought City of Glass jumped right into the action and did not stop until the end of the book. The story was incredibly gripping and at times, very emotional as well. When I closed the book, I had a feeling of great satisfaction at the way Clare resolved the story, which I think is a sign of a successful and well-written series.

If you enjoy paranormal books and series, I can't recommend The Mortal Instruments series highly enough. I eagerly await the next book that Clare has to offer.

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of City of Glass:

11 comments:

  1. I have not read any books in this series, but will surely see to that I get to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this series too. Ah, Jace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has only just come out in hard back here,so I will wait a bit longer to read it. Still have City of Ashes though to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of these series. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Sounds interesting.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read any paranormal books - but I keep thinking that I should try some at some point.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Melissa, I have something for you on my blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good review! I'll have to check out this series. I've seen it go through the library, but haven't snagged a copy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started reading City of Bones and have been looking for reviews. I'm so glad you reviewed this! I'm happy to hear you were satisfied with the outcome. I really liked this series so far, but I was afraid it would turn out like Twilight, where I was disappointed with author's conclusions. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it! Now I want to finish the whole series. **dashes off to read***

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review! I haven't read any of the series yet, but have been tempted many times. Your review has encouraged me to start! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was an excellent series! I almost wish there were more in the series, though I was quite satisfied with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey i have just recently finished the series and im not ready to let go of the characters.. i have built up strong feelings for all the characters. I cant get my head around not hearing from them again.
    Absolutely loved the series .. i recommend this book to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)