Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sunday Salon (07.05.09): Mid-year Review

SundaySalon

I've seen several people write mid-year recaps and I think it's a great idea. It also gives me a good Sunday Salon post, as the book I just finished is for a Mystery Mondays review tomorrow!

So to start, while I've been reading books all year, I did not start this blog until February 18th. What reading have I accomplished halfway through 2009? 70 books read with 66 reviewed. Not too shabby! I've always loved to read, but this blog has made me even more passionate about reading and really thinking about what I read more.

RATINGS BREAKDOWN

5 stars.......................... 19
4-1/2 stars................... 11
4 stars.......................... 20
3-1/2 stars................... 6
3 stars.......................... 5
2-1/2 stars................... 1
2 stars.......................... 2
1-1/2 stars.................... 1
1 star............................ 1
DNF (did not finish).... 2
So basically I've been lucky enough to read a lot of books that I've liked!

TOP PICKS (6)

These titles are in no particular order, and you can click on the pictures for my reviews of each book.

The Host Hunger Games Fragile Eternity
Willow Poison Study T'aragam

BY-MONTH READING STATS

January: 4 books/1,279 pages
February: 5 books/1,951 pages
March: 15 books/3,899 pages
April: 11 books/4,675 pages
May: 20 books/7,108 pages
June: 14 books/1 audio book/4,917 pages
Total: 70 books/24,180 pages

READING CHALLENGES

100+ Reading Challenge (hosted by J. Kaye) - 70/100; ends 12/31/09
Classics Challenge (hosted by Trish) - 1/6; ends 10/31/09
Pages Read Challenge (hosted by Kathrin) - 24,180/30,000; ends 12/31/09
Sarah Dessen Challenge (hosted by Em) - 2/9; ends 12/31/09

Wow, I imagine you all are probably on information overload now, but I find this to be a good way to track what I've been doing. And actually, I've now inspired myself to do a bit more serious tracking of my reading in Excel (ever the dork, I know). But I think that will help me in the long run, we'll see!

So now that you've seen what I've read so far this year, are there any books that you think I ought to read in the second half of 2009? Leave a comment and let me know!! Just because I have over 50 unread books sitting here doesn't mean that I won't be willing to add a few more to the pile! :-)

Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Fragile Eternity! I'm almost to the top of my library's list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Hunger Games, though I'd never expected to like it. I can't wait to read the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great day for mid-year reviews!! I loved The Hunger Games, too, and can't wait to read Willow and Melissa Marr's books. You've obviously had a fantastic year. That number of 4-5 stars books is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of those books but I did try to read The Host. I ended up abandoning it When I was more than half finished.

    Great job with the 70 books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious how you got so many followers so quickly if you only started in February. I started in January and have only reached 80. What is your secret Melissa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva ~ Hope you enjoy it!!

    Debnance ~ That was me, too. I finally caved after seeing SO MANY good reviews of the book, and naturally I loved it too.

    Amanda ~ Hope you enjoy all of those when you get a chance to read them. I've been fortunate to read a lot of good books this year, yes!! :-)

    Thelittlereadingnook ~ Thanks! Sorry The Host didn't work for you. I initially had a hard time getting into it, myself and had to come back to it a few weeks later.

    Scrap Girl ~ Honestly, I'm not sure. I mean, when I first started I was almost OCD about commenting on a lot of other blogs, so that may have drawn some people. I also have held several contests that drew followers, as that was one way to get an entry. A couple of those contests were for pretty popular books, too. I'd say that easily 100 of my followers (if not more, even!) have been gained during contests... So perhaps that's my secret ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've had a great year so far Melissa. I really should do something like this and see where I am with what I've gotten read and where I am with challenges. Oh well, we'll see. It always seems like there's so much other stuff that needs to get posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness Melissa! You've had a great year so far--your six months is what I'm hoping to get for the year, but I'm not looking so hot right now. I've seen Hunger Games on so many lists lately--I've got to get my hands on that one!

    Hope your next six month is just as great!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)