Thursday, July 16, 2009

Review: Holly's Inbox

Holly's Inbox coverTitle: Holly's Inbox
Author: Holly Denham (Bill Surie)
Genre: Fiction, Chick Lit
Pub Date: June 2009, Sourcebooks, Inc.
Trade Paperback, 665 pages

Synopsis

It's Holly Denham's first day as a receptionist at a busy corporate bank, and frankly, it's obvious she can't quite keep up.

Take a peek at her email and you'll see why: what with her crazy friends, dysfunctional family, and gossipy co-workers, Holly's inbox is a daily source of drama. Laughter, friendship, and romantic interludes keep her going, until one day, Holly's secret past begins to catch up with her...

Written entirely in emails, this compulsively readable UK smash hit will keep you laughing and turning the pages all the way to its surprising and deeply satisfying ending.

My Thoughts

OK, I'll be the first to admit that I don't read a lot of chick lit. And actually, this book came my way due to a case of mistaken identity when the author (Bill Surie, yes, a male has written this hilariously entertaining piece of Chick Lit) was actually trying to contact a different blogger named Melissa. I think we both got a good laugh over that and I decided I ought to give the book a try, even though it's not my usual read.

Oh my, am I glad I did. Holly's Inbox is hysterical. Seriously. My husband was laughing and shaking his head at me laughing out loud while I was reading. Don't be daunted by the book's chunkster appearance--the 665 pages fly by, as you are really just reading a series of generally short emails. If you've seen my Teaser Tuesday post, you got a nice little sample of what you can expect to read, but there's really so much more... Emails from Holly's meddling "mum," from her grandmother who signs her up for all kinds of email subscriptions, her crazy brother who wants her to front a not-so-nice establishment... I could go on and on, but really you ought to read it for yourself. If I tell you too much, it will spoil some of the funniest moments and I certainly wouldn't want to do that.

The email format of this book is a great concept. On occasion, however, I did have trouble keeping up with the conversation and found myself re-reading when it turns out it would be subsequently explained. For a book written in this style, it's amazing that you see as much character development as you do, as well. Do be forewarned that there's a fair amount of talk of sex and sexual references. For that reason I'd be a bit hesitant to lend it to my mother (and I'm sure she's reading this, too) though I do think she'd get a good laugh out of a lot of it. Honestly, if you're looking for a funny read that is light and will give you a good laugh, I highly encourage you to give this book a try. And the synopsis is spot on--you will definitely be happy with the ending.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of Holly's Inbox:

16 comments:

  1. This looks like fun! I don't read much Chick Lit either, but I think I'll try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a long book! It's nice to be surprised by a book once in awhile. The description sort of reminds me of Bridget Jones but instead of a diary we have emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britt ~ I don't think you'll be disappointed, enjoy!

    Ti ~ It's actually been likened to Bridget Jones' Diary. I never read that book but did see the movie and I can definitely see some similarities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had the chance to read this one. I absolutely loved it.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Bill Surie is a great guy... and I loved the book. Here's my review: http://anovelmenagerie.com/2009/04/30/book-review-hollys-inbox/.

    I know you don't read a lot of ChickLit. I do because I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! If you liked this book, you might also like Fire Me by Libby Malin. That book was freakin' hillarious, too!

    TTYS!

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I don't care for Chick Lit much either, although I will read the occasional one just for a change of pace. They usually bore me to tears (a la Confessions of a Shopaholic). However, you are convincing me to maybe give this book a second try. On first glance, this book looks so "stereotypical" that I passed it over every time I saw it reviewed. I knew you were not big into chick lit, so I read your review. You liked it? 600 pages of chick lit? This I must try for myself, I think! There must be something magical about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I love chicklit, and think I might just put this one on the list :o) Thanks for an awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds awesome--I love a book that can make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I finished this the other day. My review will be up next week. I cracked up so many times. It was hilarious. You'd never believe how fast 665 pages could go until you read this one. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I reserved this one from the library. I am in the mood for something light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much, Melissa! I'm looking forward to reading it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THANK YOU MELISSA - so glad it made you laugh, and thank you for taking the time to read and review it etc especially when it's not your usual type of book - really appreciated!
    xxxx
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just borrowed Anna at Diary of an Eccentric's copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got about a hundred pages left in this book and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would as well. Granny absolutely cracks me up. I was also surprised at how much character development can come from simple emails. I feel like I know the characters pretty well!

    By the way--funny way to get a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got me heading over to Amazon to buy this book ;)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)