Thursday, July 30, 2009

Review: A Circle of Souls

A Circle of Souls coverTitle: A Circle of Souls
Author: Preetham Grandhi
Genre: Fiction, Psychological Thriller
Pub date: June 2009, Sweetwater Books
ARC, 339 pages
Book source: Mr. Grandhi (kind thanks for the review copy!)

Synopsis

The sleepy town of Newbury, Connecticut, is shocked when a little girl is found brutally murdered. The town's top detective, perplexed by a complete lack of leads, calls in FBI agent Leia Bines, an expert in cases involving children.

Meanwhile, Dr. Peter Gram, a psychiatrist at Newbury's hospital, searches desperately for the cause of seven-year-old Naya Hastings' devastating nightmares. Afraid that she might hurt herself in the midst of a torturous episode, Naya's parents have turned to the bright young doctor as their only hope.

The situations confronting Leia and Peter converge when Naya begins drawing chilling images of murder after being bombarded by the disturbing images in their dreams. Amazingly, her sketches are the only clues to the crime that has panicked Newbury residents. Against her better judgment, Leia explores the clues in Naya's crude drawings, only to set off an alarming chain of events.

My Thoughts

I am always interested in a good mystery or thriller, so when Mr. Grandhi contacted me about reviewing his debut book, I didn't hesitate to accept the offer. I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed!

Perhaps what impressed me the most about this book was the level of detail that Mr. Grandhi included, yet wrote it in a way that does not bog down the reader. His background in child psychology is obvious and makes this story that much more intriguing and intense. He has a great ability to write the story from a child's perspective when necessary and his own love of children is evident--he really writes those elements of the book with great care. So in A Circle of Souls, instead of finding a story that proves cold and cynical as is so typical with crime novels, Mr. Grandhi has managed to inject a lot of heart and soul into the story. Leia Bines, Peter Gram, and the various law enforcement officials are all warm beings with a strong desire to help and protect children.

More than a crime novel, A Circle of Souls also has paranormal and spiritual elements, as a young girl's dreams end up being clues to solve a brutal murder of another child. Here, Grandhi turns to Indian beliefs in the role of the soul and predestination, among other traditions. It truly makes for a fascinating read and a bit of insight into the Indian culture.

In the end I didn't have a very difficult time concluding who the murderer was, but Grandhi's writing keeps you turning the pages to see everything resolved. The chapters are generally short and shift the focus back and forth between the two converging storylines, which is a great momentum-builder. I really thought that A Circle of Souls was a great debut novel and I look forward to seeing what Mr. Grandhi has to offer in the future.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of A Circle of Souls:

Booking Mama ~ Cheryl's Book Nook ~ Brooke's Reviews
Book Reader's Heaven ~ One Librarian's Book Reviews

If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your site included in the list above, please leave a comment with the link!

13 comments:

  1. Great review :) I enjoyed this one as well. Here's my review: http://reviewsbybrooke.blogspot.com/2009/07/review-circle-of-souls-by-preetham.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I also enjoyed this one. Hope the author is writing another!
    Natalie :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Melissa! I love a good thriller too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this sounds really, really good. I love that cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good thriller once in a while and this is one I'd like to read one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds UH-MA-ZING!!!
    When will it release?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic review. Very well said! I enjoyed this novel and its psychological suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is still on my TBR pile, but now I am even more excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked it. It sounds really good from your description =) I'll have to look into getting a copy for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reggie ~ Released in June so you should be able to find a copy pretty easily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one has been getting some great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a lot of good things about this one, which makes me happy since I just received it in the mail. I've also heard that it's not difficult to identify the murderer, so I hope that doesn't detract from my enjoyment.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)