Friday, March 15, 2013

REVIEW: Awaken by Sarah M. Ross


Series: The Patronus #1
Genre: YA Paranormal
Release Date: January 2012 (July 2012 for Kindle)
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Source: Purchased from Amazon.com
Lucy Donovan was supposed to have a weekend of fun in the sun, celebrating her upcoming graduation from college. In a split second, everything changed. A drunk driver ended Lucy’s mortal life.

Lucy opens her eyes to a world she never imagined possible and a new destiny: as a Patronus, a guardian of spirits. Adjusting to her new role and abilities while negotiating this confusing realm will test her limits and push her further than she ever dreamed she would go. From wayward spirits who don’t want her help to soul stealing vampires, and even a stuck-up British royal, Lucy must brave them all to save one spirit she can’t bear to lose.

Further complicating her life is an inexplicable yet growing connection she feels to a member of her team, Max, whose mysterious behavior leaves her both confused and intrigued.

Waking up dead was just the beginning of her problems. Lucy’s death is about to become the greatest adventure of her life.

MY THOUGHTS

I really ought to have had this review up a month ago, but one thing led to another and somehow I just never managed to post it! I read Awaken in preparation for the indie author event I attended this past Sunday. I had actually not heard of the author or any of her books, but Ross was going to be signing books at the event and I wanted to be familiar with at least one of her books before going. While I felt like Awaken could benefit from a bit more editing, the story itself was fresh and original (and really, that is probably more important)! It's always exciting to come across a debut book that I enjoy and eat right up, knowing that I will have to get my hands on more books by the author.

This book is both a fun read, but also emotional at times, with serious and sad moments. Ross taps into all of your emotions with this story. The characters are enjoyable -- particularly some of the more famous Patronuses (Patroni?) that we meet... Definitely some memorable scenes from some of Lucy's training exercises! Perhaps what bothered me the most about this book was the relationship with Max, implied in the synopsis. I won't go into it and spoil anything for those of you who haven't read this book, but the way everything progressed just didn't quite work for me. I liked the idea of it, but Lucy was far more accepting of some secretive behavior and the unknown than I would have been if I were in her shoes -- or, at the very least, she certainly didn't demand answers the way I would have! I think that's about all I can say without messing it up for everyone, sorry!

And then we reached the end of the story rather quickly, with some resolution and then a lot of unanswered questions. Thank goodness I have Avenge on my shelf and can read it soon! Awaken really is a worthy debut effort in YA Paranormal. I very much enjoyed getting to meet and chat with Sarah Ross at the event on Sunday -- she was obviously brimming with ideas and I think it is safe to say that we will be reading her books for a long time to come!

 photo premade4.png

Read this book if you like...

~ The Fallen series by Lauren Kate
~ Young Adult Paranormal (with a bit of romance) in general

Awaken (Patronus #1)

*Originally read in February.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)