Friday, May 15, 2009

Blog Improvement Note

So I just wanted to (auto)post a quick note, I spent Thursday night working on my blog after a blogger (Scrap Girl from Serendipity--thank you!!) mentioned that they were having a hard time with the page loading and getting comments to work. Only one other person had ever mentioned this to me--my mother. (I guess this is why they say you should always listen to your mother!) My sidebars had been starting to drive me a little crazy anyway--hey, you've seen the length of my blogroll--so I decided to do some Spring cleaning.

(1) I removed the awards from the sidebar and listed a separate header tab for all of those posts.

(2) I removed the picture links for my reading challenges--there was already a separate tab for them, so they weren't really necessary, anyway. In fact, I'll probably do away with the post that is for all three reading challenges, because there's not much point to that if I just link a "challenges label" to that tab...

(3) I converted both my TBR list and Blogroll into scrolling lists.

So far, everything seems to be working much faster and even I notice a difference. I didn't realize it was that bad, because our internet connection is a little shady sometimes anyway so I chalked it up to that. But I hope it's loading better for everyone else, too!

I decided to file this one away under Blogger Tips, in case any of you are having slow page loading problems, these little tips might help!

14 comments:

  1. Love the scrolling TBR list! I makes it seem much more manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrolling list! I think it's a great idea. Did you go to a blogging academy or something? :) How come you know how to do all those tricks. Well, no matter. All that matters is it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome, Melissa! Can I ask how you got your blogroll to scroll? I know how to work scroll boxes, I just don't know how to do it for a blogroll :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa. I just found your blog and I have to tell you it's gorgeous! You write fantastic reviews...I'm a follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks good... sometimes I get all pissy when someone goes and changes their blog... like my opinion counts LOL

    But whatever you did .. works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, how do you get things to scroll. I admit I'm clueless in that department :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much better. I had a problem a few times with the page loading or posting comments but each time I couldn't get to the contact info to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope you're enjoying your anniversary trip. i'm a first-time visitor, so i didn't know your blog before the enhancements. it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know how your blog used to look (excuse me, new reader ^^) but for now it's really nice and neat. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just curious... are you on Blogger or Wordpress? I like the scrollies!

    I can't figure out how to put "posts" on my pages. I can only seem to have one master post on my subsequent pages and the posts on my main page.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am amazed I was the only one that noticed. I actually just thought it was me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed, but I wasn't sure what to say. Someone just commented on my blog and mentioned it is too slow to load and "please see to this" and I thought that was kind of weird. :) I also noticed that people (including me) who have "cutest blog on the block" backgrounds take a little bit longer to load than the regular blogger backgrounds. Usually I just do something else while the page loads to these blogs, though, so it doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacketsandcovers ~ Thanks! It definitely cut down on the clutter.

    Lilly ~ Lol, nope, I rely on good ol' Google to search on how to do things in Blogger.

    Jo & Becky ~ I've already decided to add a post to my Blogger Tips & Tricks series. Stay tuned...

    Annie, booklineandsinker and Thao ~ Welcome! I hope you enjoy spending some time here :-)

    Ti & Trish ~ Glad it is working better for you. I still notice some slowness at times so I may tinker with it some more.

    Sheri (ANM) ~ I'm on Blogger. I keep toying with the idea of going to Wordpress but I don't really want the hassle of redoing everything. If I ever decide to really customize my blog, I might bite the bullet and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I am still bookmarking all your tips - someday I will get around to fixing up my space.!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)