Monday, May 18, 2009

Mystery Mondays: Review: Naked In Death

Naked in Death coverTitle: Naked In Death
Author: J. D. Robb
Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Romantic Suspense
Pub Date: February 2009, Penguin Group (orig. 1995)
Trade paperback omnibus, this title 271 pages

Synopsis

Eve Dallas is a New York police lieutenant hunting for a ruthless killer. In over ten years on the force, she's seen it all - and knows that her survival depends on her instincts. And she's going against every warning telling her not to get involved with Roarke, an Irish billionaire - and suspect in Eve's murder investigation. But passion and seduction have rules of their own, and it's up to Eve to take a chance in the arms of a man she knows nothing about - except the addictive hunger of needing his touch.

My Thoughts

I have to admit that I wasn't really all that interested in reading these books... until I had read some recent reviews of several titles in the series. When I happened to see the omnibus edition of the first two In Death books I figured, why not give them a shot?

Somehow, in reading those reviews I didn't realize these books were set in the future, which gives them an interesting twist. Actually, at times I wished that there was more emphasis on the fact that these books are set in the future--Robb could have supplied more detail in that respect. The story is certainly not for the faint of heart, and I should have realized that there would be more than enough sex, as well, given who we're dealing with (Robb a.k.a Nora Roberts). I skimmed over that and dealt with the foul language--I suppose it made sense for the story, regardless of whether or not I actually liked it. The storyline was interesting, if a bit predictable. But at the same time there were enough twists that I didn't have it totally figured out by the end. Robb does a pretty good job with the characters--Eve and Roarke are fairly well-developed (Eve more so than Roarke), and the antagonistic characters are definitely not likable in the slightest.

I plan to read the next book, Glory In Death, sometime soon, though I don't know that I'll continue the series beyond those two books. My reading tastes don't really include a lot of sex and foul language. All the same, Robb writes a good, suspenseful mystery and I could appreciate the story for that in itself.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of Naked In Death:

Reading Comes From Writing

If you have reviewed this book and would like to see your link here, please leave a comment below. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I love this series (well, I've only read 3 out of the zillions) and I love that the futuristic part is not very emphasized. I really don't like scifi and I hesitated starting the series for that reason. But these books are perfect for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)