Friday, May 1, 2009

REVIEW: Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

Fragile Eternity coverSeries: Wicked Lovely #3
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction, Fantasy
Pub Date: April 2009, HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover, 389 pages
Source/FTC Disclosure: I purchased my copy of this book. I was in no way compensated for this review and my opinions are my own.
Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone—but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he'd ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.

Aislinn never expected to rule the very creatures who'd always terrified her—but that was before Keenan. He stole her mortality to make her a monarch, and now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever imagined.

In Melissa Marr's third mesmerizing tale of Faerie, Seth and Aislinn struggle to stay true to themselves and each other in a milieu of shadowy rules and shifting allegiances, where old friends become new enemies and one wrong move could plunge the Earth into chaos.

MY THOUGHTS

Melissa Marr has done it again. Just when I think this series can't get any better, it does. And now I understand so much more of what Marr was talking about at the book signing on Sunday, as well--particularly with regards to the choices some of the characters make in Fragile Eternity. I'm going to do my best to minimize spoilers in this review, so bear with me as I try to get my points across!

It's funny, because I actually don't like some of the things that are happening in this story, yet it makes complete sense given what we know about all the characters. But the way events unfolded leaves the story at a point where you just have to find out what happens next--at least, I feel that way, at any rate. And again, I don't know what it is about these books, but I get so swept up into them that when I come to the end, it's almost always a shock to me, even though it's obvious there aren't many pages left.

Niall's "new" side as the Dark King is certainly interesting, and now I can't quite decide how I feel about him--all the sudden his dark side is more prominent. Sorcha, the High Queen, proves to be a very interesting character, as well. Also intriguing are some familial relationships that are revealed in Fragile Eternity. Again, it's obvious that what makes this series so strong is Marr's ability to write strong, well-developed characters. Not to mention the fact that her Faerie realm is really fascinating. But certain events would not come to be if it weren't for the way certain characters simply were and would act. And let's just say that things are starting to heat up a bit between all the Faerie courts! I really hate the fact that I'm going to have a long wait for the fourth book!

5 stars

My review of Wicked Lovely
My review of Ink Exchange

Other reviews of Fragile Eternity:

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually into faerie-type books, but this book and series sound like they would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get into this series. The third one isn't out here yet. Looking forward to seeing your wedding scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to read this series. I have Wicked Lovely on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Author www.melissas-bookshelf.com !
    You are absolutely right. In it something is also I think, what is it good thought.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)