Monday, May 25, 2009

Review: Dreamstone

Dreamstone coverTitle: Dreamstone
Author: P. A. Hendrickson
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Pub Date: March 2009, BookSurge Publishing
Trade Paperback, 529 pages

Synopsis

When Joebin Vassiter's home world of Prothia is faced with extinction at the hands of vicious slavers from Gildus-5, a voice in his dream lures him on a journey to the mysterious, uncharted regions north of his settlement. A mismatched band of volunteers join him as he searches for the one thing that can save Prothia—The DREAMSTONE. To hold the Dreamstone is to hold the power of transforming the subconscious into the conscious, the dream into reality. But pursuing the stone is not without risks. There are others in the hunt. Governor Kress Moltaire, a self-serving manipulator, desires its power for the sake of building her new order in the galaxy, and Colonel Penzin and Captain Klonda seek the stone for its financial value on the black market. As time runs out on the once-insignificant world of Prothia, Joebin wrestles with his own deep-set insecurities and new truths concerning his home planet. Can he conquer his fears and defeat the slavers and rival seekers of the stone before it's too late? —Not on his own and not without the Dreamstone.

My Thoughts

It's been awhile since I have read a novel that is truly Science Fiction (as opposed to Fantasy). In fact, the only ones I have read are the books in the Ender and Bean series by Orson Scott Card. I can safely say that I enjoyed Dreamstone nearly as much as I enjoyed those books.

Hendrickson has written a unique story filled with interesting characters, species, and technologies. And just when you've settled into the path the story is taken, the plot twists in a new direction and you have to rethink everything that is happening. Joebin and his friends have embarked on an amazing adventure, particularly as the people in their village have generally not been beyond the other towns in the area. They come across an entire civilization (the Atlomians) they did not even know existed, but little do the realize who else they will encounter as their planet is invaded by slavers, intent on forcing them to serve Kress Moltaire.

If you are a fan of Science Fiction I think you'll enjoy this book. It may be a little lengthy at times, but the story is very original and there are many likable characters along the way.

My rating: 4 stars



If you have reviewed this book and would like me to add a link to it, please leave a comment below!

5 comments:

  1. It's been a long while since I last read a science fiction novel. This one does sound good. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check this one out - I loved the Ender series! I believe that was my very first Sci-Fi book!

    Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week. ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...I like the sound of this one. Looks like another book to add to the TBR list!!

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy oh boy, I used to be a die-hard fan of Sci-Fi back in high school, it was pretty much all I read and now I can't even remember when the last time was I read anything from this genre. Maybe I'll get back on track with this one, it seems like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever read any science fiction, though I do own Dune by Frank Herbert but I have never read it. I am not sure it is my kind of book, but I am waiting on all the Wicked Lovely books after you recommended them.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)