Friday, May 29, 2009

Review: Treasure Island

Treasure Island cover Title: Treasure Island
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
Genre: Fiction
Pub Date: November 2005, Barnes & Noble
Hardcover, 237 pages

Synopsis from dust jacket

The most popular pirate story ever written in English, featuring one of literature’s most beloved “bad guys,” Treasure Island has been happily devoured by several generations of boys—and girls—and grownups. Its unforgettable characters include: young Jim Hawkins, who finds himself owner of a map to Treasure Island, where the fabled pirate booty isburied; honest Captain Smollett, heroic Dr. Livesey, and the good-hearted but obtuse Squire Trelawney, who help Jim on his quest for the treasure; the frightening Blind Pew, double-dealing Israel Hands, and seemingly mad Ben Gunn, buccaneers of varying shades of menace; and, of course, garrulous, affable, ambiguous Long John Silver, who is one moment a friendly, laughing, one-legged sea-cook . . .and the next a dangerous pirate leader!

The unexpected and complex relationship that develops between Silver and Jim helps transform what seems at first to be a simple, rip-roaring adventure story into a deeply moving study of a boy’s growth into manhood, as he learns hard lessons about friendship, loyalty, courage and honor—and the uncertain meaning of good and evil.

My Thoughts

I am happy to say that I have finally finished one book towards completing the Classics Challenge! I've had this one sitting on my shelves for awhile, and the challenge was the perfect nudge I needed to finally read it. I won't say too much about it, after all it's a Classic and has earned its spot in literary history many times over. But I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and am sorry that I didn't pick it up sooner!

As I often find with the classics, it took me a little while to get comfortable with the language and flow of the words, but once I did, it was as if I was right there with all the action happening around me. I honestly didn't have any preconceived ideas of this book going in, because I don't recall having seen any of the movies about Treasure Island, either. So, going in with fresh eyes made the book that much better, in my opinion, and I was able to enjoy the surprising twists and turns the plot took even more. If you have any interest in pirates and good, classic literary works, I think you would enjoy this book as much as I did.

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of Treasure Island:

If you have reviewed this book and would like to see a link to your site above, please leave a comment! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. I find with classics I have to build myself up to read them. Then once I get into them I wonder why it took me so long to read it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it and gave it a five star rating. I loved the classics and read many of them when I was younger. I had a wonderful local librarian who fed me what she thought I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... this really takes me back. And now I want to blow the dust off of my copy and read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to leave a comment--this tells you how backed up my Google Reader is! Yikes.

    I'm completely with you that when I pick up a classic sometimes it takes a while to get into the writing style. I'm reading Tom Sawyer right now and am having the same struggles. Once I get passed that, though, classics are surprisingly enjoyable!

    I haven't read this one and don't know very much about it, but I'm glad it ended up working for you! And sorry for the long comment-you would think when you're so far behind short comments would be easier, but the further behind I am, the more I ramble. Ok, stop, Trish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!!! www.melissas-bookshelf.com is one of the most excellent innovative websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. www.melissas-bookshelf.com rocks!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)