Thursday, May 21, 2009

Review: Shadow Kiss

Shadow Kiss coverTitle: Shadow Kiss
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Fiction, Paranormal, Young Adult
Pub Date: November 2008, Penguin Group
Trade Paperback, 443 pages

Synopsis

Rose Hathaway knows it is forbidden to love another guardian. Her best friend, Lissa-the last Dragomir princess-must always come first. Unfortunately, when it comes to gorgeous Dimitri Belikov, some rules are meant to be broken . . .

But since making her first Strigoi kills, Rose hasn't been feeling right. Something dark has begun to grow in her mind, and ghostly shadows warn of a terrible evil drawing nearer to the Academy's iron gates. And now that Lissa and Rose's sworn enemy, Victor Dashkov, is on trial for his freedom, tensions in the Moroi world are higher than ever.

Lying to Lissa about Dimitri is one thing, but now there's way more than friendship at stake. The immortal undead are prowling, and they want vengeance for the lives that Rose has stolen. In a heart-stopping battle to rival her worst nightmares, Rose will have to choose between life, love, and the two people who matter most . . . but will her choice mean that only one can survive?

My Thoughts

Well, all the frustration I went through with Rose in Frostbite was totally worth it to be able to get to this book. Everything feel into place and Shadow Kiss is easily the best of the first three Vampire Academy books, even as good as the first two were. Now I even understand WHY Rose can be so frustratingly hot-headed and overreact about so many things. And all the same, I love her character, which is perhaps why I had a tendency to get frustrated when she wouldn't behave the way I wanted her to.

In addition to all of that, this book was action-packed, almost from the beginning. Mead has written a breathtaking story that will keep you turning the pages until you reach the end. And in the middle of all the action, we see that Rose's romance with Dimitri may finally be heading somewhere, for a change. Lissa also works with Adrian as the two of them try to develop their "spirit" powers, causing Christian (Lissa's boyfriend) some angst, but also bringing them to new levels of importance. In fact, we see more Moroi, in general, begin developing and using their powers more, and by the end it certainly comes in handy.

But above all, the culminating battle against the Strigoi is heart-pounding and completely gripping. And while I had already realized what part of the outcome would be, it was another thing altogether to actually see it unfold. Part of me wished it could have turned out differently, but if it had, the story just wouldn't be the same. All I can say is that I cannot wait to read Blood Promise when it is out in August. Thank goodness I have so many other books to keep me occupied until then!

My rating: 5 stars



Other reviews of Shadow Kiss:

Karin's Book Nook ~ Darque Reviews ~ TheBookBind
The Story Siren ~ WORD for Teens ~ Bookworm 4 Life
Persnickety Snark ~ A Blog of Books ~ Em's Bookshelf
YA Reads ~ Writer's Block Reviews ~ The Eclectic Reader

If you have reviewed this book and don't see your link above, please leave a comment below. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how fast you whizzed through that series Melissa. lol. It really does sound good so thanks for the reviews. This is yet another series I'm probably going to get sucked into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this series, but I just have so many series like it on the go! I think I will probably wait and finish a couple before starting it! Glad you enjoyed it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another series I've been meaning to get into...and I will! Someday lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I somehow knew what was going to happen but I kept hoping that I was wrong. :( I can't wait for Blood Promise! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)