Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Review: Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy coverTitle: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Fiction, Paranormal, Young Adult
Pub Date: August 2007, Penguin Group
Trade Paperback, 332 pages

Synopsis

St. Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school—it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run, but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's—the very place where they're most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


My Thoughts

I picked up this book a few weeks ago and only got around to reading it today. It took me a little while to get into it and get used to some new vampire terms--Moroi (living vampires that could procreate) and Strigoi (an undead vampire). But once I got settled into the Vampire Academy and this particular world of vampires, I have to say I really enjoyed this book!

I don't claim to be a vampire expert, but I have read a variety of vampire fiction and I am always impressed when an author writes something that I find to be very creative and original. Richelle Mead has done that with Vampire Academy. She does an excellent job not only developing the storyline, but the characters, as well. Rose is fantastic--full of sarcasm and attitude outwardly, but with an inward emotional strength that few really see. Initially, I found Lissa to be a bit insipid but she grew on me as the book unfolded and we learned more about her and her specialty. (All vampires specialize in some kind of elemental magic in this world.) There is a strong supporting cast, as well, full of your typical range of teenagers--well, apart from the fact that they are all vampires, of course.

There is, of course, a bit of romance between various characters in the book, but it is not really the main theme of the story, which I have to say is rather refreshing. References to sex are pretty prevalent, but overall I didn't find the sexual tones to be that much of a detraction to the story--just something to note depending on the age of the reader. Vampire Academy is a nice, easy read and I thought Mead did a great job bringing the characters and the story to life. And on my way home today, I bought Frostbite and Shadow Kiss.

My rating: 4 stars



Other reviews of Vampire Academy:

8 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm going to add this one to my IPod for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this review. i've been looking at this for awhile but i may actually get it next time i'm at borders :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, enjoyed your review. I wasn't quite as taken with this one but still found it an enjoyable read. Here's my review
    http://teddyree-theeclecticreader.blogspot.com/2009/03/vampire-academy-by-richelle-mead.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great review! I always wonder about the books that follow a really big seller. Like these books that you find after you've read the Twilight series. Or the hype that followed Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. So I'm glad to see that this one was good! Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review. I used to read a lot more vampire stories than I do now but I still enjoy them when I do read one. I don't know why, but that world is so fascinating to read about. This book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds very interesting. I like vampire fiction even though, like you I am not a vampire expert. But I'm also always on the lookout for good vampire fiction that's not too tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay, glad you finally read this-Im in love with the series, and each book seriously gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like fun! I like vamps -- who is a vampire expert anyway?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)