Thursday, March 12, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Movie Potential

BookingThroughThursdayTami inspired this week’s question:

What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers?

Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?

This is a great question!! I have to confess that I often feel like movies don't do the books justice, though there are a few exceptions--The Lord of the Rings being one that comes to mind. If they could be done right (like the A&E/BBC version of Pride and Prejudice) I would LOVE to see some of Georgette Heyer's books made into movies. My top two picks would be The Grand Sophy and These Old Shades.

Generally, if any book can be treated "right," I'd love to see the movie version. So often, though, the movies disappoint me (as was the case with Twilight--yes, I know, I'm probably in the minority). I was also disappointed with Eragon. Generally, I wish more fantasy books were made into movies, but again, you never know how they might turn out.

8 comments:

  1. I agree; how can a two-hour film fully capture a good book? Here's my response:

    http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday-movie.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the A&E P&P as well. Haven't read any Heyer books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Eragon and Eldest right now and I did watch the movie first. That's how I learned about the books. I did really like the movie but now since I'm almost done with Eragon it feels like a whole different story. But I'm not bummed, I'm sure it's so hard to pick out the highlights of a book and jam it into a decent movie. I did really enjoy the movie but my heart is definitely in the book (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that a lot of times, not just in fantasy, movies fall short of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really thought a lot more could have been done with Twilight as a movie, in terms of casting and the director. I know the second movie will have a different director, so can we also change the cast??

    Right there with you in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with you about Lord of the Rings and P&P being excellent movies, and I was disappointed with Twilight and Eragon, too. I don't even think I will be able to watch New Moon when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it's nice to know I'm not alone with regards to my feelings about Twilight. I mean, I was so disappointed with it that I contemplated getting up and leaving before the movie was over! Medical Librarian I completely agree with you about the casting, and more than that the makeup was just laughable. I may go see New Moon, since there's a new director, but I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are very few book to movie adaptations that I've liked. Didn't like the Twlight movie either.

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)