Wednesday, March 18, 2009

REVIEW: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Hunger Games cover Series: The Hunger Games #1
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult
Pub. Date: October 2008, Scholastic Press
Format: Hardcover, 374 pages
Source/FTC Disclosure: I purchased my copy of this book. I was in no way compensated for this review and my opinions are my own.
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before--and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

MY THOUGHTS

What can I possibly say about The Hunger Games that hasn't already been said by other reviewers out there? I will say that when I first heard of the book, I was a little skeptical, but after reading review after review that gave nothing but praise, I finally decided I had to read it. I picked up my copy last week and finally started into it Monday. Sadly, work interfered with my reading, but despite that I finished it last night. I can honestly say it was probably the best book I've read so far in 2009. It certainly puts a new spin on Reality TV!!

I loved pretty much everything about the book--the way it was written, the characters' names and development, Collins' descriptive portrayal of the people and places, and lastly, the way this first book was wrapped up. Oh my, does it leave you hanging, dying to read the next book! This was another of those books where I felt like I was almost involved in the story firsthand. My heart pounded anxiously as Katniss met various challenges during the Games. I felt like I really knew her and Peeta, the two "tributes" from District 12. The plotting was just great, too. Books like these make me wonder how I will ever come up with something so creative to write about, myself! It's not as if all of Collins' ideas were unique, but put them all together and you have a captivating, adrenaline-pumping, and all-round incredible story.

I could not stop thinking about this book after I read it. Just the possibility of what we could become is mind-blowing; we'd be going backwards and forwards at the same time if we ever ended up like Panem and its Districts. Last night, I was even telling my husband and my parents about this book, even though I knew there was not the least likelihood that any of them would ever read it. I seriously cannot WAIT for the next book, Catching Fire, to be released in September. I'm already planning to add Suzanne Collins' other books to my TBR list.

 5 stars

Other reviews of The Hunger Games:

My Friend Amy ~ The Book Muncher ~ 1330v
Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? ~ As usual, I need more bookshelves
My Favorite Author ~ The Chick Manifesto
The Book Reader ~ The Book Vault ~ Readergirlz
Ms. Yingling Reads ~ Wrighty's Reads ~ Becky's Book Reviews
Presenting Lenore ~ Ink and Paper ~ In Search Of Giants
Page 247 ~ Melody's Read Corner ~ At Home With Books
Bookluver - Carol's Reviews ~ Serendipity
Diary of An Eccentric ~ Devourer of Books ~ The Little Bookworm
Beth Fish Reads ~ Stephanie's Written Word
And Another Book Read... ~ Pop Culture Junkie

7 comments:

  1. UGH! Everyone is reading this book! I need to...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting to get this book at the library and just got it yesterday! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I had the same experience of not being able to stop thinking about it. I can't wait for the next one, either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to see my novel The Bright Side of Disaster on your wish list!! I have a new one out, too, called Everyone Is Beautiful! Hope your wishes come true!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I loved this book! I've also reviewed it, would you mind linking to it, please?

    http://jo-scrawls.blogspot.com/2009/03/main-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I ahve linked your review to mine here.
    http://page247.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/the-hunger-games-suzanne-collins/

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)