Sunday, March 8, 2009

Weekly Geeks: A Quote A Day - Georgette Heyer #2

WeeklyGeeksButton

Today's quote is from Lady of Quality, which is the first Heyer novel I ever read, and still one of my favorites. This is from an exchange between Annis Wychwood and Oliver Carleton (naturally, for those of you who've read the book).

Lady of Quality cover"Miss Wychwood," he said, "I lied when I said I liked you! I do not like you! I am very nearly sure that I dislike you excessively!"

"What can I say, dear sir, except that your sentiments are entirely reciprocated!" she responded.

He smiled appreciatively. "Has anyone ever got the better of you in a verbal encounter?" he asked.

"No, but it must be remembered that I have not until today had much opportunity to engage in verbal encounters. The gentlemen I have previously been acquainted with have all been distinguished by propriety of manners and conduct!"

"That must have made 'em sad bores!" he commented.

In my opinion, Annis Wychwood and Oliver Carleton have some of the best exchanges between any couples in Heyer's novels. I find myself laughing often when I read this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

This blog does not use CAPTCHA, please comment freely! However, I have had to disable the "Anonymous" commenting feature since the spammers are just out of control. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment -- I love to hear what you think! Feedback and discussion are always welcome. Happy reading :-)